Valentine’s Day is one of the most celebrated holidays of the year, especially for those that have that special someone in their life to spend it with. Will you plan to go out or stay in for a special evening, buy chocolates and flowers or your partner’s favorite perfume? Or do you want to find a gift that’s more unique or personable? Whatever you do, avoid these gift ideas or you may find yourself alone on Valentine’s Day.
- Diet pills: While you may think this gift shows your partner that you are interested in their health and well-being, they will most likely take it as an insult of not being thin and attractive enough for you.
- Clothes 2 sizes too small: Especially if you include a note saying they would look good in these, this not a great gift idea. Clothing in general is a bad idea if you buy the wrong size or purchase something she doesn’t like.
- Girl’s night out: Why encourage her to spend a night out with friends rather than a romantic date with you? Need I say more?
- Exercise equipment: Unless the equipment is for a fun new activity or date you want to go on, giving equipment as a gift is a signal that you want them to lose weight (again not a good gesture).
- Mega-size box of chocolates: While a modest box of your partner’s favorite chocolates can be a good gift, an over-sized box can be too much. You don’t want to make them sick.
- Self-help books: Giving a book to help your significant other improve in a certain area can come across that you’re telling them they need to change for you to love them more.
- Footed pajamas/Snuggies:It is neither the 80’s nor are full length footed PJ’s romantic. Snuggies? Really, what’s attractive about these oversized adult wearable blankets?
- Joke gifts: You may think you’re being clever and give you partner a good laugh for a moment, but once the thought has worn off you are left with a useless item.
- Personalized door mat: Oh wait, I mean nothing says I love you more than a heart shaped rug with your names on it so he can wipe his feet on your love.
- Romantic Facebook gifts: Come on, this one should be obvious. It may be cute to hand-write a love letter, but Facebook? Really, just say I love you to their face instead.
- Small black box: Unless the box has an engagement ring in it, don’t disappoint your date when instead it is a necklace or pair of earrings. Nice gifts, but not so much when you were expecting more.
- Office supplies: He gave you his heart and you gave him a pen? Um, no thanks I can spare that gesture.
- Gift cards/cash: While the gesture may be nice, these are too casual for a romantic gift.
- Anything practical: Even if you need a new vacuum, toaster or blender they don’t make very romantic Valentine’s gifts. Simply buy these items at a later time.
Have more worst Valentine’s gift ideas of your own? Share them in the comments section below!
You can find more articles from this Examiner on Facebook at Utah Family Life and her About Me page. Subscribe to receive email updates of Debi’s latest articles by clicking the “Subscribe” link above.