Joshua Smith, 14, was at one of life’s crossroads. His mother, Tamiko Robinson, fought hard to keep the Detroit teen on the straight and narrow. Members of a local gang in their twenties pressured him to live life as they did, on the edge.
Early Monday, Joshua made his decision. According to the Mail Online, he entered his stepfather’s room, got hold of a 12-gauge shotgun, and pumped at least ten rounds into his sleeping mother. The execution, carried out gangland style, was a clear and unambiguous message. It speaks volumes about two lives, destroyed in an instant.
The youth’s uncle, LeShaun Roberts, told FOX News Detroit that the child and his mother, who was battling lupus, were constantly at loggerheads over which path his life would take. She wanted him to stay in school and plan his future. He saw her efforts as intrusive.
The uncle told reporters:
[Joshua] said his mother won’t let him have friends. He said his mother won’t let him bring his girlfriends over, his mother won’t let him stay out until 11 o’clock at night. He’s 14 years old.
Tamiko Robinson’s five-year-old daughter and fiancé were in the home when the shooting began. The two jumped out of a window to avoid becoming targets. The little girl reportedly later asked relatives, “Why would someone want to hurt mommy?”
Smith was arrested soon after the shooting. Police found him driving around in his mother’s car.
But it looks as though he will get his wish. Most prisons populations nowadays are heavily represented by all the popular gangs.
- Mentally disabled woman murdered following Christmas Eve church service
- Woman dies after being set on fire in apartment building elevator
- Man collapses and dies on Black Friday; unfazed shoppers step over his body
- Outrage: Thief steals disabled child’s wheelchair (Updated)
- Cries for help in the form of ‘tweets’ from abused suicidal teen went unheeded
- Outrage: Perp involved in near-fatal shopping cart push may walk
- New Yorkers look on impassively as stabbing victim cries out for help
- Homeless good samaritan killed while saving a mugging victim
Subscribe at the top of the page to have my articles sent directly to your e-mail inbox. Follow me on Twitter or join me at Facebook. You can reach me at email@example.com or by posting a comment below.