How many of us can grow an ulcer at the thought of a stain on your carpet? Carpet is a hefty investment as many purchase enough to cover rooms around their home. If you enjoy your plush flooring then you absolutely must protect it against accidental spills and carelessness. When someone spills something on your floor, how do you remove it? Real Simple has an awesome list of carpet cleaning solutions for practically any and every spill. For us fellow New Yorkers, these tips will definitely come in handy as hiring companies not only require time, but extra change. Why not just do it ourselves? Take a look at our three favorites below and to see more, click here or visit www.realsimple.com for more cleaning tips.
3 Carpet Cleaning Solutions Against Stains
1.) Dirt & Mud
- Vacuum any dry dirt to remove as much as possible.
- Dip a white cloth into detergent solution and dab repeatedly, then press the cloth on the spot for a few seconds. Wait 15 minutes, then soak up the excess liquid with a dry white cloth.
- Dip another dry white cloth in lukewarm water and dab repeatedly, then press it on the spot for a few seconds
2.) Food & Drink (wine, coffee, tea, ketchup, hard candy, juice chocolate)
- Dip a white cloth (or a white paper towel with no printing) into the detergent solution and dab repeatedly, then press the cloth on the spot for a few seconds. Wait 15 minutes (it takes time to break down the stain), then soak up the excess liquid with a dry white cloth.
- Dip a cloth into the vinegar solution and dab repeatedly, then press the cloth on the spot for a few seconds. Wait another 15 minutes. (This is an important step, because white vinegar removes residual detergent, which will attract dirt if left in the carpet.)
- Rinse by blotting with a cloth soaked in lukewarm water. Wait one hour or until the carpet dries completely. For bad spills, place a 1/2-inch-thick stack of white paper towels over the stain after step 2, then lay a glass baking dish on top for 15 minutes.
- As long as you see the stain lightening, repeat these steps until it is gone.
3.) Oil & Grease (salad dressing, crayon, lotion, lipstick, nail polish)
- Apply a small amount of solvent to a white cloth. Dab repeatedly, then press the cloth on the spot for a few seconds.
- Rinse by blotting with a white cloth soaked in lukewarm water.
- Wait one hour or until the carpet completely dries. If the stain is getting lighter, repeat until the stain is removed.
Stay up to date on all things design by following our Manhattan Interior Design Examiner page. We are also the National Interior Design Examiner. You can also follow us Twitter, Facebook, and our Blog of course. Click the “Subscribe” button to receive our interior design articles via email. We are on Facebook! Please “like us” for decorating ideas, tips and articles!