Calvin “Megatron” Johnson led all wide receivers in fantasy football with 254 points and is the “Most Valuable Wide Receiver” (MVWR) for the 2011 NFL season.
Johnson caught 96 passes for a league-leading 1,681 yards and 16 touchdowns. He finished No. 11 in scoring overall behind eight quarterbacks and two running backs.
Victor Cruz of the New York Giants was the “Biggest Surprise” at wide receiver and Tampa Bay’s Mike Williams was the “Biggest Disappointment” in 2011.
It was a fascinating year for wide receivers. We saw the emergence of Cruz, Laurent Robinson of Dallas and Green Bay’s Jordy Nelson as dominant receivers. We also saw draft favorites like Williams, Reggie Wayne and DeSean Jackson take a tumble in fantasy football productivity,
The Giants’ Victor Cruz wasn’t even on the Examiner’s preseason charts and yet he finished with 198 fantasy points, which made him the No. 4 wide receiver in scoring. He caught 82 passes for 1,536 yards and nine touchdowns/
Here are the five wide receivers who provided the “Biggest Surprise” in 2011. They should be high fantasy football picks for the 2012 season:
- Victor Cruz, New York Giants – Not included in preseason poll/finished at No. 4
- Laurent Robinson, Dallas Cowboys – Not included in preseason poll/finished at No. 14
- Jordy Nelson, Green Bay Packers – No. 60 in preseason poll/finished at No. 2
- Nate Washington, Tennessee Titans – No. 62 in preseason poll/finished at No. 15
- Steve Smith, Carolina Panthers – No. 45 in preseason poll/finished at No. 6
Mike Williams of Tampa Bay finished at No. 51 among wide receivers in 2011. He was considered the No. 16 wide receivers in the Examiner’s preseason ratings.
The five wide receivers who fall into the “Biggest Disappointment” category for 2011 are listed below. You may want to take a long look at them before making your fantasy football picks for the 2012 season:
- Mike Williams, Tampa Bay Buccaneers – No.16 in preseason poll/finished at No. 51
- Reggie Wayne, Indianapolis Colts – No. 5 in preseason poll/finished at No. 29
- Anquan Boldin, Baltimore Ravens – No. 22 in preseason poll/finished at No 38
- Santonio Holmes, New York Jets – No. 17 in preseason poll/finished at No. 33
- DeSean Jackson, Philadelphia Eagles – No. 10 in preaseason poll/finished at No. 25
Next season should be better for Adrian Peterson and Oakland’s Darren McFadden if they bounce back from serious injuries.
Here are the top 10 scorers at running back in fantasy football in 2011:
- Calvin Johnson, Detroit Lions – 254 points
- Jordy Nelson, Green Bay Packers – 210
- Wes Welker, New England Patriots – 206
- Victor Cruz, New York Giants – 198
- Larry Fitzgerald, Arizona Cardinals – 181
- Steve Smith, Carolina Panthers – 175
- Roddy White, Atlanta Falcons – 172
- Percy Harvin, Minnesota Vikings – 165
- Mike Wallace, Pittsburgh Steelers – 162
- Vincent Jackson, San Diego Chargers – 162