“Your dresses should be tight enough to show you’re a woman and loose enough to show you’re a lady.” – Edith Head, Designer
This quote was relayed by presenters Jennifer Lopez and Cameron Diaz as they posed to show off their own dresses when they announced the award for ‘Best Costume Designer’. This phrase certainly rang true for the best dressed contenders on the red carpet for the 2012 Academy Awards. Both Cameron and Jennifer looked fabulous as usual, but this ‘Best Dressed’ list has a few surprises as well…
- Angelina Jolie as always looked like her bombshell self! She rocked a stunning floor-length black dress that showed a whole lot of leg!
- Jessica Chastainsimply radiated! Her auburn hair paired perfectly with the rustic copper tones in her black dress. These colors are becoming quite popular this season and she pulled them off perfectly. The only thing cuter than she was, was her arm candy that night — her grandma!
- Michelle Williams looked like the polar opposite of her on screen role as seductress Marilyn Monroe. She glowed the bright coral gown with sweet peachy pink makeup and simple gold jewelry. She looked like the girl-next-door all dressed up!
- Viola Davis (who is from New England by the way!) wowed as she pulled off a bold fashion move by wearing her hair natural instead of tucking it away in her usual wigs! We loved it! She strutted the red carpet in a green dress that fit her like a glove!
- Tina Fey got a little flack for not going with a bright colored dress! We couldn’t disagree more – she looked fantastic in navy. She is true to her style and look gorgeous last night!
- Octavia Spencer chose a sparkly number that accentuated her curves perfectly. She looked beautiful as ever even during her teary acceptance speech!
Unfortunately, not all of the leading ladies made the best dressed list. Actresses Shailene Woodley, Melissa McCarthy and Anna Faris all looked a bit underwhelming in their gowns, while Emma Stone had the opposite problem. Her bright raspberry gown and red hair clashed while the bow next to her head was somewhat overly distracting.
Diamond chokers ruled the jewelry category, worn by actresses like Cameron Diaz, Penelope Cruz, and Michelle Williams. Perhaps it’s no coincidence that these woman were considered to be among the best dressed of the night?
The Hair & Makeup:
- Milla Jovovich looked like a vision of old Hollywood glam with her swept back hair and bold red lips.
- Jennifer Lopez looked just like a (from the head up!) princess stepping out in a tight ballerina bun paired with natural lips and long gorgeous lashes!
- Stacy Keibler let her natural beauty shine with side-swept golden locks and light subtle makeup all over.
- Penelope Cruz looked like a 1950’s dream with her wavy bob and a slight smoky eye!
Other Memorable Moments:
Along with the gorgeous gowns of the 2012 Academy Awards, some memorable moments include Christopher Plummer’s acceptance speech for ‘Best Supporting Actor’. “You’re only two years older than me darling, where have you been my whole life?” He was of course talking directly to his newly acquired Oscar statue which made him the oldest recipient of the award!
Octavia Spencer got a standing applause with her teary speech upon receiving ‘Best Supporting Actress’ for her role in The Help.
Then there was Billy Crystal… His opening sequence was particularly funny including a shared kiss between him and George Clooney and teaming up with Justin Bieber to gain the “18-24 demographic” of award show viewers as Crystal put it.
All in all, a great show!