First off, I feel the need to apologize for my lack of posts last week. My other job caught up with me as well as life. This week look forward, in the very least, for posts on Tuesday, Friday, and Sunday night. Also, do not forget that this upcoming Sunday, February 26, 2012, the Oscars are live on ABC at 7e/4p. Tune in for one of the most anticipated Academy Awards in the past couple of years.
Every single weekend, studios wait in anticipation to see impressive numbers at the box office. Every single weekend, I cannot help but think about Arthur Abbott and his wise words from from The Holiday (2006). While I cannot find the exact quote, I can remember him stating that box office success did not dictate the success of whether a film was deemed successful or not. This is not so much the case now, which makes a lot of people yearn for the days of old Hollywood once more. The days where a movie could have a longer run and build up success by word of mouth. People miss the days as Arthur states where the box office results were not reported like “like baseball scores on the nightly news.” Despite this, we all eagerly await the results each and every weekend.
The box office results for the the weekend of February 24, 2012-February 26, 2012 are the following:
- Act of Valor (2012); Weekend Gross: $24.7M; Overall Gross: $24.7M; Weeks: 1
- Good Deeds (2012); Weekend Gross: $16M; Overall Gross: $16M; Weeks: 1
- Journey 2: The Mysterious Island (2012); Weekend Gross: $13.5M; Overall Gross: $76.7M; Weeks: 3
- Safe House (2012); Weekend Gross: $11.4M; Overall Gross: $98.1M; Weeks: 3
- The Vow (2012); Weekend Gross: $10M; Overall Gross: $103M; Weeks: 3
- Ghost Rider Spirit of Vengeance (2011); Weekend Gross: $8.8M; Overall Gross: $37.8M; Weeks: 2
- This Means War (2012); Weekend Gross: $8.5M; Overall Gross: $36.6M; Weeks: 2
- Wanderlust (2012); Weekend Gross: $6.63M; Overall Gross: $6.63M; Weeks: 1
- Gone (2012); Weekend Gross: $5M; Overall Gross: $5M; Weeks: 1
- The Secret World of Arrietty (2010); Weekend Gross: $4.5M; Overall Gross: $14.7M; Weeks: 2
At this time last year, the weekened of February 25-27, 2011, the two movies, Hall Pass (2011) and Gnoemo and Juliet (2011) came out on top. They pulled in $13,535,374 and $13,400,130 respectively. The rest of the top ten films in theaters included: Unknown, I Am Number Four, Just Go With It, Justin Bieber: Never Say Never, Big Mommas: Like Father, Like Son, The King’s Speech, Drive Angry, and True Grit. For further information statistic wise in comparison to this year, please click here.
For those interested in viewing any of the aforementioned features in theaters, please click here for other locations. For locations near and in Austell the safe bets are always Carmike Cinemas Movies 14 and Regal Stadium 22 in Austell. If you are interested in renting any of the films mentioned from last year, make sure to check out this title through your local Austell Blockbuster, Videodrome, Movies Worth Seeing, Netflix, or movie channels based upon your cable or satellite provider around Halloween. To purchase any Blu-rays or DVDs mentioned in this review please check out your local Austell Best Buy, Walmart, Target, or Kmart.