Dan Buettner lives right here on Lake of the Isles in Minneapolis. He is a world traveler, an author, a public speaker, a world record holder and the founder of Blue Zones. In 2010, his home on Lake of the Isles was part of the ASID Showcase Home Tour. The designers, Holly and Amber, at Hauthaus Inc, had the pleasure of working on his front porch design.
Quick facts about Dan Buettner:
- Blue Zones is his study of longevity; he has found where people live longest in the world and studied perhaps why they live so long
- He has dated 70’s super model Cheryl Tiegs
- He travels the world collecting furniture, found objects and artifacts
- Dan has been on the Oprah Winfrey Show
- He has penned two books; Blue Zones and Thrive
About the porch design:
The long narrow porch was divided into two sections because the front door to the home is right in center of the room. This allowed for two spaces; one for soft seating and one for a dining table for eating or playing games at.
Some tips/ notes about the design of the space:
- Hauthaus used a vinyl floor covering on the ceiling to bring in a deep blue color along with adding a highly textured grass cloth look
- Outdoor fabrics and finishes were used on the dining chairs and sofa so they could be sure to withstand the strong sun that comes in the windows all year long.
- Some of the pieces in the room are custom made; a Nazareno wood table was handcrafted for Dan on one of his exhibitions. A teak wood chair was also carved for him by a local craftsman in one of the villages he stayed.
- An antique heirloom red lacquer Weiman table acts as a central cocktail table with a new piece of Cambria as its top.
- Fiddleleaf fig trees in pots and bamboo fan blades help this gentleman feel as though he might still be in the jungle.
For more information on Blue Zones: www.bluezones.com
For more information on hauthaus: www.hauthaus.com