Cornell University, University of Iowa, University of Minnesota, and Oklahoma State wrestling have each been named No. 1 seeds in their respective Regional Qualifying Tournaments for the 2012 Mat Mayhem National Duals in brackets released by the National Wrestling Coaches Association (NWCA) Tuesday.
Here are the seedings for the NWCA/Cliff Keen Division I National Dual Meet Championships regional events to be held Feb. 11-12:
> Rutgers Regional — Rutgers University, Sat., Feb. 11:
- First Round: No. 4 seed Kent State vs. No. 5 Rutgers; No. 3 University of Missouri vs. No. 6 Cal Poly
- Semifinals: Winner of the Kent State-Rutgers dual will face No. 1 Minnesota; the Missouri-Cal Poly winner will take on No. 2 University of Michigan. (The No. 1 and No. 2 seeds receive byes in the first round)
> Cornell Regional — Cornell University, Sun., Feb. 12:
- First Round: No. 4 Central Michigan vs. No. 5 Purdue; No. 3 University of Oklahoma vs. No. 6 American
- Semifinals: Winner of the CMU-Purdue dual will wrestle No. 1 Cornell; Oklahoma-American victor will face No. 2 University of Illinois
> Iowa State Regional — Iowa State, Sun., Feb. 12:
- First Round: No. 4 Virginia Tech vs. No. 5 University of Northern Iowa; No. 3 Iowa State vs. No. 6 University of Wisconsin
- Semifinals: Winner of VT-UNI takes on No. 1 Iowa; winner of ISU-Wisconsin meets No. 2 Oregon State
> Oklahoma State Regional — Oklahoma State, Sun., Feb. 12:
- First Round: No. 4 University of Wyoming vs. No. 5 University of Tennessee-Chattanooga; No. 3 Ohio State vs. No. 6 Boise State
- Semifinals: Winner of Wyoming-UTC wrestles No. 1 Oklahoma State; Ohio State-Boise State winner faces No. 2 University of Nebraska
Additional details for all Regionals: There will be three rounds of competition — First Round, Semifinals, and Finals — at each Regional. Winners of the semifinals will face each other in the finals. Winners of the finals will then compete at the Championship Round the weekend of Feb. 20-21 at a site to be determined. Teams who lost in the first round will wrestle a second match alongside the championship final.
Want to know more? Read the 2012 Mat Mayhem bracket announcement from the NWCA… and take a look at the actual brackets as posted at InterMatWrestle.com; for more details on each of the four Regionals — including times, ticket prices and ticket ordering information — check out this article from College Wrestling Examiner. And, check out NCAA.com’s preview of the Regionals.
Stay on top of college wrestling! Be among the first to know — click the “subscribe” button on this page to get the latest news from College Wrestling Examiner, winner of Amateur Wrestling News’ Dellinger Award as wrestling writer of 2011. You won’t miss a single thing all year ’round… and best of all, it’s absolutely FREE!
College Wrestling 101: Links to College Wrestling Examiner articles answering basic questions about wrestling, including rules, scoring, uniforms, more
Follow College Wrestling Examiner Mark Palmer on Twitter