As usual, you have a pound of ground beef and no idea what you are going to make with it. Instead of the weekly sloppy joes or meatloaf, why not try a new easy recipe with the ground beef like porcupines? Porcupines are meatballs with rice in them, covered in a tomato based sauce. It’s a fun dish to make and kids really get a kick out of it!
- 1 egg
- 2 (10.75 ounce) cans condensed tomato soup
- 1/4 cup instant rice
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon onion salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- Lightly beat egg with a fork, then add a heaping tablespoon of the soup and mix lightly. Mix in rice, onion, parsley, onion salt and pepper. Stir in the ground beef and mix well with hands. From mixture into 1 1/2 inch round meatballs.
- Coat a large skillet over medium heat with cooking spray. Cook meatballs and brown on all sides.
- Combine remaining soup with Worcestershire (you can increase or decrease Worcestershire to your liking), stir until smooth, and then spoon over meatballs. Cover with lid and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes, stirring every few minutes
In Raleigh, you can find fresh ground beef at great prices at Food Lion. With locations all over the triangle, you can easily pick up what you need on the way home from work.
Why settle for the same old ground beef recipe? This porcupine meatball recipe has a zesty flavor and is easy to make; plus your family will love it. Round out the meal with roasted potatoes, mixed vegetables or a salad and some nice warm buns.
© 2011 Amy Bittinger Kunkle, All rights reserved. No part of this article may be reproduced without prior permissions from the author or Clarity Digital Group LLC d/b/a modenook.com
Please consider reading all my topics:
- Raleigh Food click here to subscribe
- Raleigh Etiquette click here to subscribe
- Raleigh TV click here to subscribe
- Raleigh Frugal Livingclick hereto subscribe
- National Contemporary Etiquette click here to subscribe
- National Women’s Health click here to subscribe
Do you have a passion for something that you would like to share? Why not write about it with modenook.com? Click here to link to modenook.com and start sharing your knowledge today.