As the chill sets in, a nice cup of hot soup may be just the thing to warm you up. For those who have chosen to live a healthy low carb lifestyle in the year ahead, the options may be few. For the working class, the selections dwindle even further. Slow cooker to the rescue!
Make these now, and in the year ahead to keep you on a healthy eating course.
Cheesy Broccoli Cauliflower Soup
Half head broccoli
Half head cauliflower
1 cup Heavy cream
2 cups Chicken stock
2 cups shredded cheddar or colby jack cheese
In the Morning
- Break the broccoli and cauliflower into small chunks and place in the bottom of the slow cooker crock. Chop a stalk of celery and add.
- Add 2 cups of chicken stock, 2 shakes of Worchestershire sauce, about 2 Tablespoons of onion powder, salt and pepper to taste.
- Set to low, and let it go for 6 to 8 hours.
In the Evening
- Mash the contents of the slow cooker with a potatoe masher or place in a blender to cream and return to the slow cooker. Do not turn off the slow cooker yet.
- Add 1 cup of heavy cream and 2 cups of shredded cheddar or colby jack cheese and mix well. Let heat through slowly in the crock for about an hour or until hot and cheesy.
If you are in a hurry, put the soup in a large sauce pan on the stove to finish the final steps.
For low carb eaters, have a ladel full with dinner to fulfill your carb count.
Put the leftovers in containers to keep in the freezer.
Beef and Mushroom Soup
Left over roast
2 small onions
2 cups of mushrooms
2 cups of beef stock or broth
- Chop up at least 2 cups of cooked roast. (add as much as you like up to 4 cups) Leave in large chunks and place in the bottom of the slow cooker crock
- Chop 2 small onions and add (large cut)
- Add 2 cups of sliced mushrooms. (leave in large pieces)
- Add pepper to taste
- Pour 2 cups of beef stock or broth over the top.
- Set to low and let it go.
- Serve with a bit of shredded white cheese over the top.
- The leftovers make a great snack.
- Look in the refrigerator (or freezer) for left over meat. Chop it up at least 4 cups and put it in the bottom of the slow cooker crock. Consider combining two or even three kinds.
- Add 2 cups your favorite raw low carb vegetables.
- Add 2 cups of stock to match your meat. (chicken for chicken, beef for beef, etc)
- Add favorite seasonings.
- Turn to low and let it go.
- YES, you just created your own recipe! YES, it’s really that easy to create a simple, low carb soup.