Next Sunday Giants and Patriots fans will gather for Super Bowl XLVI at festive parties brimming with platters laden with hearty food and lots of liquid libations. This week hosts and hostesses will be deep in preparation for the Big Game parties in the New York Metropolitan area with fans cheering on Big Blue. Here are some hearty suggestions for easy planning and delicious feasting on February 5.
Whether your guests are carnivores, vegetarian or vegan, these are recipes guaranteed to be crowd pleasers and gratifying indulgence for everyone. These offerings are from The Tipsy Vegan by John Schlimm who says his goal was to create the ultimate party-in-a-book; a party that everyone is invited to—whether you are a lifelong vegan, an occasional visitor, or merely hungry.
For a sassy starter to kick off the pregame party, his Salsa alla Vodka is the perfect dip for chips maybe accompanied by a Big Blue Giant-tini. And, Schlimm adds that “VODKA!!!” is one of his favorites and that it takes salsa, gazpacho, roasted potatoes, pasta, and so much more in The Tipsy Vegan (which was selected as Editors’ Pick in VegNews Mag) to a whole new level of boozy decadence.
Salsa alla Vodka (Makes about 3 cups)
Schlimm’s intro: The new leader of the salsa kingdom has risen and is ready to serve you. This tanked twist on everyone’s favorite dip can be used instead of ketchup on a veggie burger, to top off a baked potato, or as an unforgettable backyard-tailgating-couch potato-me time-party time-anytime dip with tortilla chips.
- 2 to 3 ripe red tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and roughly chopped, or 2 cups canned organic diced tomatoes, drained, if tomatoes are out of season
- 5 scallions, finely diced, light green and white parts only
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded, and diced
- 1/2 long mild chile (for example, anaheim or poblano), or 1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro leaves
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- Hot pepper sauce to taste
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup chilled Exclusiv vodka*
- Droplets of extra-virgin olive oil
*Exclusiv Vodka was was recently awarded with an impressive 91 point rating by the Beverage Tasting Institute. It may be hard to believe, but the vodka with this prestigious rating costs only about $10 a bottle. Enter The Big Contest now on Exclusiv’s Facebook page.
For the perfect accompaniment to your hamburgers, hot dogs or tofu burgers, try this tasty vegan dish.
Rockin’ Roasted Potatoes with Racy Rosemary & Mustard
Schlimm’s intro: These rousing spuds start out looking wet and wild (which under some circumstances can be a very hot bonus—wink, wink!), but the mixture with vodka and vermouth cooks down to leave the potatoes crispy, crusty, and tangy, just how you’ll want them again and again.
- 1⁄3 cup plus 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons Exclusiv vodka
- 1 tablespoon dry vermouth or dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon bottled horseradish
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary leaves
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 pounds red-skinned and Yukon gold potatoes, cut into 3/4- to 1-inch chunks
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the mustard, olive oil, Exclusiv Original Vodka, vermouth, horseradish, garlic, paprika, rosemary, salt, pepper, caraway seeds, cayenne, and pepper flakes.
- Add the potatoes and toss with your hands to coat.
- Dump the potatoes onto the prepared baking sheet and spread them out in a single layer. Roast, tossing with a spatula a few times, until the potatoes are crusty on the outside and tender throughout, about 50 to 55 minutes.
Recipe credits: The Tipsy Vegan, by John Schlimm. Reprinted by arrangement with Da Capo Lifelong, a member of the Perseus Books Group. Copyright © 2011.
To quench your thirst before, during or after the game try this adaptation of Exclusiv Vodka’s Cape May Cocktail:
Big Blue Giant-sour (and it will be the Giants’ hour)
- · 3 oz Exclusiv Vodka (classic or citrus)
- · 1 oz Blue Curacao
- · Splash Sour
- · Twist of lemon juice and garnish with a lemon wedge
Cheers and Go Big Blue!
Enjoy this article? Please click on the “Subscribe” button above to receive e-mail alerts when a new article appears.
For the latest food and restaurant news and seasonal recipes, visit me at Shore Region Restaurant Examiner and TastefuLiving.net.