– Giant yellow parrots: are the big news coming out of last weekend’s Parrot Festival in San Antonio, Texas. Not gold conures, nor hybrids; the “golden macaws”; billed as the “rarest macaws in the world” are specially bred lutino versions of the blue and gold macaw. Their “coming out ” party will be at the American Federation for Aviculture‘s annual convention 8/15-18 in Houston. And if they were to go on sale, prospective buyers should reportedly prepare to fork over a stack of 100,000 gold dollar coins.. For more from the original breeder, http://www.goldenmacaw.net/
– Can a psychic tell you what your pet bird is thinking – even from beyond the grave? Cue the “Twilight Zone” theme as examiner George Sommers investigates for the “Pet Gazette”. http://petgazette.net/columns/fish-a-fowl/158-the-parrot-whisperer.html ARTICLE CONTINUES BELOW AD
– How a Parrot Learns its Name in the Wildwww.youtube.com is from Cornell Lab of Ornithology.
– Connecticut Parrot Society‘s Feb. 2 meeting features Dr. Stephanie Lamb of the South Wilton Veterinary Clinic.
– Trivia time: Larry Mondello offers Beaver a parakeet in lieu of a 75 cents debt in “Leave it to Beaver”. In “Cheers”‘ “One Happy Chappy in a Sappy Serape”, Sam Malone opens a bar in Mexico and dances with a cockatoo on his arm. And did you know that it was only in his fifth cartoon appearance that Tweety teamed up with Sylvester the cat? Moreover, Sylvester was going by the name Thomas when Tweety first tawt he taw a puddy tat.
– Bummer corner: The World’s Most Traded Wild Birds? Senegal Parrots, color morphs, and the wild-caught bird trade…Information anyone with an interest in parrots should be aware of.. A “National Geographic”” article alerted to us by Foster Parrots’ Marc Johnson. Meanwhile, in South Africa, only about 1000 wild cape parrots remain. Some are pointing the finger at the pet industry – but not quite in the way you’d expect. “uPholi” want a forest? Rescuing Africa’s most endangered parrot from extinctionnewswatch.nationalgeographic.com
– Many household staples can be deadly to your bird! Frosty and Friends Exotic Bird Rescue, Inc. – IMPORTANT INFORMATION!!!frostyandfriendsrescue.com Thanks to Deb Henderson
– They come from the land Down Under: Rare Aussie black cockatoos under siege. http://t.co/DbHve1VZ From Marc Johnson. No such problems for wild parakeets. The wild budgies of Billabongwww.abc.net.au Thanks to Lara Joseph. and finally, the ever popular Backyard Galah Cam • Index pagebackyardgalahcam.com From Viki Bullock.
– 10 M2s + 1VH= Freeflying Moluccan cockatoos and Van Halen‘s “Panama”. From Marc Johnson. http://t.co/ntpysyH8
– Mite-y imporant issues: How to get rid of mites on your bird and the importance of iquarantining new birds befiore introducuing them to your flock. http://www.birdtricks.com/blog/getting-rid-of-mites-on-doves/And don’t yell at or hit your bird. Effective disciplinary actions: http://www.birdtricks.com/blog/dont-discipline-distract/ From Chet Womach.
– More by this examiner: “Why Newt Gingrich Won the South Carolina Primary” http://www.listmyfive.com/f4218eea/The-Top-Five-Ways-Newt-Gingrich-Won-t… “Ice Skating Venues in Boston” http://www.listmyfive.com/feefc962/The-Top-Five-Ice-Skating-Venues-In-Bo…