The sixth edition of the Governor’s Cup flat track roller derby tournament will be held this weekend in Dallas. Seven teams will compete in the double elimination tournament to be skated at Fair Park Coliseum on the Texas State Fairgrounds. The Women’s Flat Track Derby Association (WFTDA) will sanction all Governor’s Cup bouts skated in Dallas this weekend.
Action gets underway Saturday morning when the Alamo City Rollergirls skates against the Oklahoma City Roller Derby at 8 o’clock. The second game will have the host Assassination City Roller Derby taking on the Northwest Arkansas (NWA) Rollergirls at 10 am. At noon the Duke City Derby Munecas Muertos will skate against the Oklahoma Victory Dolls. At 4 pm the winners of the first two games will skate, and at 6 pm the third-ranked-nationally Texas Rollergirls will take on the winner of the third game. The final game of the evening will have the losers of the first two games skating against each other at 8 pm to see who moves on in the double elimination tournament.
Action starts early on Sunday at 8 am and continues through the final championship bout scheduled for 6 pm. Potentially if the winner emerging from the loser’s bracket beats the team in the winner’s bracket, since this is a double elimination tournament, there would be a second game between those two teams.
Also, there will be open scrimmages for qualified skaters not on the all-star rosters at 2 pm Saturday and Sunday. Skaters may register on the Assassination City web site, and may see the requirements to enter the scrimmages here.
Ticket prices are $25 for a single day pass and $40 for both days with group rate discounts available for groups of 10 or more. Children 10 and under get in free if accompanied by a parent. For more information visit the Governor’s Cup web site. Fair Park Coliseum is located at 1438 Coliseum Drive, Dallas, Texas 75210. Bouts start at 8 am on both Saturday and Sunday with doors opening at 7:30 a.m. Access to the Coliseum is from Fitzhugh Avenue at fairgrounds Gate 10 or Gate 11.
Rating the teams
- The Texas Rollergirls Texecutioners are third ranked nationally, and ranked first in the WFTDA South Central Region. The Texecutioners finished third in the WFTDA national tournament held in November in Denver, Colorado. They have won the five previous Governor’s Cups. Top jammers include Olivia Shootin’ John, Bloody Mary, and Vicious van GoGo. Belle Starr, Lucille Brawl, and Curvette are several of the highly rated blockers for the Texies.
- The Oklahoma Victory Dolls are rated 14th according to Flat Track Stats in the South Central Region. Featured jammers include Phoenix Envy, Dolly Dynamite, and Czeck 1 2. Top blockers include Critical Sass, Dez Dispenser, and Mount Crushmore. Last year the Victory Dolls defeated Assassination City by four points in Mesquite, Texas.
- The Duke City Roller Derby Munecas Muertas are rated in the 17th spot of the South Central Region according to Flat Track Stats. Since the Munecas Muertas made the WFTDA finals in 2008 in Portland, there has been quite a turnover of skaters. However, the team is lead by veteran blockers Carson B. Demented, Death Ro, and Elvira Mental. Newer skaters Spic and Span and Tronsexual have added quite a bit of energy to the team that beat the Dallas Derby Devils 134-102 in April of 2011 at the Clover Cup.
- The Assassination City Roller Derby Special Ops are rated #19 in the South Central Region according to Flat Track Stats. Top jammers include Lickity Split Tail, Rocky Roadhouse, and Strawberry Deathcake. Among the featured blockers are DeMentia, Whoa Silla The Killa, and Trigger Mortis. Assassination City has won five out of their last six interleague bouts.
- The Northwest Arkansas (NWA) Roller Derby are ranked 22nd according to Flat Track Stats. They are led by jammers like JoAnne of Arc, Karmalecktrack, and Jett. Top blockers include Unskinny Wop, The Denialator, and Blackzilla. Last year they had impressive victory was over the ICT Rollergirls.
- According to Flat Track Stats, the Alamo City Rollergirls are ranked in the 25th spot. Top jammers include El A DodgeHer, Harmin Electra, and Barbara Coa. Top blockers include Pleasure 2BeatYa, Skullyvera, and Shay Manyu. Their most recent victories have come over Springfield Rollergirls and Spindletop Rollergirls.
- While the Oklahoma City Roller Derby squad is ranked 27th according to Flat Track Stats, this younger team is up and coming. Newer jammers like Scarla O’Teara and Lita Lita Hobeata join veteran jammer Anomellie as they try to put points on the scoreboard. Top blockers include Kitty VonKlobber, Blonde Brawler, and Mya O Mya. OKCRD’s Tornado Alley has out-performed their projected results three of their last four bouts.