If you love to use your noggin, today may be your lucky day! It’s National Puzzle Day. While the origins of this holiday are well, puzzling, this annual event is celebrated each year on Jan. 29.
Stimulate Your Mind
The old expression, “if you don’t use it, you’ll lose it” certainly holds true in this case. In fact, many experts believe the key to keeping the mind healthy and sharp as a tack is to USE it. Just like your body, exercise is beneficial for the brain too.
Researchers discovered that people who participated in mind-stimulating activities including reading, writing, playing crossword puzzles and/or challenging games especially during early and middle life, were less likely to develop brain plaques which are often associated with Alzheimer’s disease. It is estimated that over 5 million Americans suffer from Alzheimer’s disease, the sixth leading of cause of death in America.
In honor of National Puzzle Day, try your hand at one of the free crossword puzzles, word games and riddles listed below!
Note – many of the online games listed below require various free plug-ins like Adobe Shockwave or Java.
20 Free Brain Games, Riddles & Puzzles
- Play a Google a Day – Google is getting into the action with the Google a Day game. Search online for today’s question. And there is only one correct answer.
- Classic New York Times Crossword Puzzle – No one does crossword puzzles like the New York Times!
- Jumble Crossword Puzzle – Try your hand at this super-fun, timed Jumble Crossword puzzle. You can even print it out too! Fun!
- Online Crossword Puzzles Guide – Speaking of crossword puzzles, check out this listing of free crossword puzzle games for kids and adults.
- Online Crosswords – In case you don’t want to play online, this online site offers several printable crossword puzzles each and every day.
- A Game a Day – Select from two different levels and play a new game every day of the month. You’ll need Java for this online game.
- Sudoku Puzzle of the Day – If you’re a Sudoku fan, try a new game every day!
- Daily Word Sleuth Puzzle – Simply select the word search puzzle from HP and print!
- Word Twist – Love Boggle? Try this online game on for size! Type in the words – each word must have 4 letters or more.
- JigZone’s Jigsaw Puzzles – Think you’re pretty good at jigsaw puzzles? See how fast you can put this online puzzle back together again. An Auto Solve feature is available in case you get stuck.
- Daily Jumble – See if you can unscramble the words before time runs out!
- Make Your Own Maze with this free online maze creator from BrainBashers.
- PictoPuzzle – A picture is worth a thousand words – or is it?
- Riddle of the Day – Think it sounds easy? Guess again!
- Patch Words – Be warned – this game is not for the faint of heart! Drag the tiles over to the blank box. Each row must make a word.
- Daily Logic Puzzle – See if you can figure it out. Clues and answers are included.
- Fowl Words – This fun word game, from KewlBox, is great for kids and adults. Hurry – spell as many of the words as you can before time runs out!
- Word Hunt – Check out this word search game. Once you find the word in the box, hold down the mouse on the first letter of the word and drag the mouse to the last letter. You only get 3 hints so.
- Letter Rip – Try to come up with as many words in adjoining boxes as you can before time runs out. From KewlBox.
- Drop Quotes – Each puzzle contains a hidden quote. Drag the letter from the column into the box below to try to figure out the quote. Good luck!
Game on! And just in case you are hungry, today is also Curmudgeons Day and National Corn Chip Day! Check out these 15 amazing corn chips and dips recipes!
Are you ready for some football?
- Watch the Best Super Bowl Ads of all time – Top 17 Super Bowl commercials
- Free Super Bowl Football Games, Activities & Printables for Kids
- Simple Super Bowl Recipe Ideas for Busy Working Moms
- Super Bowl Party Recipes – Sandwiches, Appetizers and Dips for Super Bowl Sunday
- Super Bowl Party Cocktails, Drinks & Punch Recipes for Super Bowl Sunday
- Super Bowl Party Desserts & Sweet Treats – Recipes for cookies, bars & cupcakes