You may recall that back in November, the Richmond Tea Party, recognizing that the then-burgeoning Occupy movement was getting a free ride from the city, sent an invoice to the mayor asking him to reimburse the costs they incurred organizing previous rallies.
The group never did receive a check from the city, but they received official notice that the Richmond Department of Finance was conducting a tax audit for the year 2010.
Well, the government tax collector is baa-ack, and more in-their-face than ever. Colleen Owens at Big Government reports:
In January and February of this year, the Internal Revenue Service began sending out letters to various local Tea Parties across the country. Mailed from the same Cincinnati, Ohio IRS office, these letters have reached Tea Parties in Virginia, Hawaii, Ohio, and Texas (we are hearing of more daily). There are several common threads to these letters: all are requesting more information from these independent Tea Parties in regard to their nonprofit 501(c)(4) applications (for this type of nonprofit, donations are not deductible). While some of the requests are reasonable, much of them are strikingly onerous and, dare I say, Orwellian in nature.
The author goes on to note that the questions from the IRS—which include “Please identify your volunteers” and “Are there board members or officers who have run or will run for office (including relatives)?”—are curious. Why, for example, does the IRS want a list of donors when the donations are non-tax-deductible?
Interesting questions indeed. Is someone out to intimidate the Tea Party movement, and if so, who?
- Occupy protester puts 4-year-old on train tracks to stop rail traffic
- City of Richmond responds to Tea Party invoice—with tax audit
- Hypocritical OWS protesters channel 1%: Stay at $700-a-night hotel
- Occupiers’ newest enemy: schoolchildren
- Richmond Tea Party bills city; sees double standard in treatment of ‘occupiers’
- The high price of ‘Occupation’
- ‘How Are OWS and the Tea Party Different?’ home version
- NYC Occupy Wall Street protests turn violent AFTER eviction plan is scratched
- Occupy L.A.: We will need violence and socialism to achieve our goals
Subscribe at the top of the page to have my articles sent directly to your e-mail inbox. Follow me on Twitter or join me at Facebook. You can reach me at email@example.com or by posting a comment below.