Handy kitchen appliances are being developed each and every day. These implements of destruction are designed to slice, dice, chop, fry, grill, smoke, broil, braise, roast and even dehydrate our food supplies. They are bulky, they take up too much space in our pantry closets and many aren’t even worth a crap. They are time consuming to setup and even harder to get cleaned and put away. So why do we buy these cooking utensils with all of this prior knowledge? Primarily because a small handful of them can actually be very useful.
This is Michigan. Being able to do your grilling inside with a foot of snow and 0ºF temperatures outside is a very attractive alternative. Being able to slice paper thin potato chips on a mandolin versus slicing with a knife sounds more efficient and even safer. A rice cooker will make a fluffier rice and will not steam up your kitchen windows. These are just a few kitchen appliances that manufacturers are peddling nowadays.
Check out these unique finds and see if they match your cooking needs:
- Starting off with an appliance that works so good it has been promoted by a heavyweight boxing champion, the George Foreman Grill has been knocking out the fat for over 15 years. This little idea has sold over 100 million units worldwide and is one of the perfect tools an indoor chef will truly use. The concept takes grilling to another level by cooking from the top as well as the bottom. The slope of the grill allows the fat to roll out of the food and down the non-stick surface leaving you with a grilled and very lean meal. Small enough for cabinet storage and easy cleanup make this a very useful tool. Recipe: Grilled Pork Cutlet with Rosemary
- Cuisinart® offers an amazing and versatile piece of kitchen gadgetry with their food processors. These units have blades for slicing and shredding and can be used for nearly every recipe ever written. Puree vegetables for soups, mix dough for pizzas, create sauces for entrees and blend wonderful vinaigrettes for your healthy salads. Electronic touchpad controls and easy to clean bowls make this a must have item. Recipe: Broccoli Cheese Soup
- West Bend® has a wonderful bread maker that allows you to create your own freshly baked loafs. With the hundreds of prepackaged bread mixes available and the many more you can create with the addition of your favorite ingredients, this unit is well worth the investment. Although it may seem a bit more on the luxury side of kitchen ware, making your own bread fills your home with fresh baked aromas and fills your belly with freshly baked breads. Recipe: Onion Garlic Cheese Bread
- Deep fryers may not use the healthiest of cooking methods, but they indubitably make some of the best tasting food on the planet. Hamilton Beach® offers deep fryers are sized for greater versatility with some large enough to fry a whole chicken. The lid keeps the grease off your countertop and the basket allows for easy removal of finished foods. Convenient timers, a safe breakaway power cord and a nonstick pot round out this soon to be loved unit. Recipe: Shrimp Fritters
- The Ronco® Showtime Rotisserie & BBQ Oven is the closest way of creating great slow roasted items without having to haul everything outside to the spit on your grill. The slow and low method of cooking is transferred to this compact countertop unit and allows users the ability to cook foods using the spit rod assembly or the flat spit basket. This would have to be considered a luxury item as well because after all, you do own a oven. The tagline ‘just set it and forget it’ has helped sells thousands of these units and the combination of the rotisserie action and the drip pan allows for lower fat recipes and a healthier diet. Recipe: Standing Rib Roast
Whichever of these units you buy or have or were given, be inspired and create some wonderful dishes for your family right on your kitchen countertop. Be creative and jazz up these recipes with some additional flavors or alternative sides.
Smoke ‘em if you got ‘em and don’t forget your bib.