Let’s face it, the kitchen is the hub of the home and to many buyers it can make or break the deal. Here are some kitchen upgrades that you can do to help your home sell faster.
- Paint – A fresh coat of paint on your walls will do wonders. It makes the kitchen look fresh and new and it is probably one of the most affordable upgrades you can do.
- Cabinets – Update your cabinets. You don’t have to replace your cabinets. If you have wood cabinets you can clean, sand and restain them. If the cabinets are looking too worn, you can paint them. Get good quality paint and be sure to lightly sand them and let the coats thoroughly dry between layers. Here are the steps of how to do it yourself from HGTV – http://www.hgtv.com/kitchens/painting-kitchen-cabinets/index.html. Another option is to replace the cabinet hardware, knobs and/or hinges.
- Lighting – Add more lighting. Everyone likes to see what they are doing while cooking in the kitchen. You should have lighting above the kitchen sink and above the stove and work surface. If you only have one light in the middle of the kitchen, you may want to think about adding can lights, pendant lights or under cabinet lighting.
- Fixtures – Adding a new faucet will spruce up the look of the sink. If your sink has a lot of scratches you may want to replace it too. Replacing the sink strainer or stopper is a good idea as well and they are very inexpensive.
- Countertops – In today’s market most people are looking for granite or high end counters. You can get a great looking laminate counter for much less. It will totally update the look of your kitchen if your counters are old and worn. They now have high definition laminate and laminate that looks like granite. Here are some examples from Wilsonart – http://www.wilsonart.com/.
- Backsplash – Adding a little bit of backsplash will make your kitchen look complete. It doesn’t cost very much and you can do it yourself. Here is a slideshow of a variety of ideas from Better Homes and Gardens – http://www.bhg.com/kitchen/backsplash/kitchen-backsplash-ideas/.
- Appliances – Many buyers are looking for stainless steel appliances, but if your appliances are in good working order, don’t replace them. Just give them a good cleaning.
If you can’t or don’t want to tackle these projects yourself, hire a contractor to do it for you. Here is a web site you can go to for services in Charlotte County, FL and surrounding areas. http://www.cdbia.com/default.aspx Just click on Directory and it will take you to a list of members. You can search by type of business and the results will give you complete contact information. Be sure to hire a licensed contractor for all of your home projects.
Tammy Hayes, Realtor, Green Lion Realty, Port Charlotte, FL