It’s not a holiday, but it might feel like one to people who are taking advantage of the recent snow storm. At Lake Tahoe ski resorts, it’s “Pow Day.”
Thanks to a sizable dump that started Sunday night and continued into Monday evening, that’s real snow, and plenty of it, that people in Tahoe are skiing and snowboarding today.
Snow storms have been very few in the Lake Tahoe region this winter. So there was considerable rejoicing Monday when Tahoe ski resorts received up to 1½ feet of snow over a 24-hour period that began on Sunday night.
The weather forecasters early Sunday were reporting only 1-2 inches from the storm. Thankfully, they were way off in their prognostications.
And Mother Nature isn’t done yet. The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration is predicting a chance of snow through Thursday with skies clearing by Friday.
A winter storm watch is forecast from late Tuesday night into Wednesday evening. That storm is expected to bring a foot or more of snow above 7,000 feet, with up to 10 inches at the lower levels.
Mt. Rose ski resort received 10-12 inches of light powder snow overnight, then had another 8 inches on Monday, for just over 1½ feet of new snow in less than a 24-hour period.
Alpine Meadows ski resort got 11-15 inches and with more snow supposed to arrive Wednesday, they are expecting another foot of snow.
On Tahoe’s south shore, Heavenly ski resort received no snow on Sunday evening, but caught up on Monday with a whopping 17 inches.
Kirkwood ski resort is reporting 12-16 inches of snow and more expected tonight. Sugar Bowl ski resort received 14-18 inches of new snow, while Squaw Valley ski resort was reporting just over a foot of fresh snow.
The new snow is falling just in time for Leap Day – which Squaw Valley, Alpine Meadows and Diamond Peak ski resorts are all offering $29 lift tickets on Wednesday, Feb. 29.
Below is a look at the snow report for the previous 24 hours, as reported Feb. 28.
New snow: 11-15″
Snow base: 34-67″
Location: Highway 89, six miles west of Tahoe City
Web site: www.skialpine.com
New Snow: 15-22″
Snow base: 29-36″
Location: Interstate 80 at Donner Summit
Web site: www.borealski.com
New Snow: 8″
Snow base: 30-46″
Location: Highway 431, Incline Village
Web site: www.diamondpeak.com
New Snow: 17″
Snow base: 28-40″
Location: Ski Run Boulevard in South Lake Tahoe
Web site: www.skiheavenly.com
New Snow: 11-17″
Snow totals: 345-67″
Location: Highway 89, six miles south of Tahoe City
Web site: www.skihomewood.com
New Snow: 12-16″
Snow totals, base depth: 64-62″
Location: Highway 88 in Kirkwood
Web site: www.kirkwood.com
New Snow: 19-20″
Snow totals: 24-47″
Location: Mt. Rose Highway in Reno
Web site: www.skirose.com
New Snow: 6-14″
Snow totals: 36-43″
Location: Highway 267 near Truckee
Web site: www.NorthstarCalifornia.com
New Snow: 9-11″
Snow totals: 13-42″
Location: Highway 50, 12 miles west of South Lake Tahoe
Web Site: www.sierraattahoe.com
New Snow: 14″
Snow totals: 53-64″
Location: Highway 89, six miles from Tahoe City
Web site: www.squaw.com
New Snow: 14-18″
Snow totals: 31-58″
Location: Interstate 80, Norden exit
Web site: www.sugarbowl.com
Read more modenook.com ski stories:
- Want to become an expert skier? Here’s how you can do it
- Vail Resorts buys Kirkwood ski resort in Lake Tahoe
- Avalanche kills 3 Washington state skiers near Stevens Pass resort
- New jib pipe unveiled at Squaw Valley ski resort
- Latest storms dumps more than 2 feet of fresh snow at several Lake Tahoe ski resorts
- Snow sets up resorts with new snow heading into President’s Day weekend
- Squaw says its ski-in, ski-out Starbucks the first of its kind worldwide
- Check out the many discount lift tickets offered by Lake Tahoe ski resorts
- Number of people who ski and snowboard on the rise nationwide
- Lindsey Vonn joins select club by capturing 50th World Cup victory
- Head to the backcountry or take lessons from Olympic legend Jonny Moseley
- Shaun White takes Winter X Games with perfect score on Superpipe
- Could Lake Tahoe host the next Winter X Games?
- Tahoe has many family-friendly ski resorts that also feature a friendly price
- Check out Shaun White video on “Conan’ this week. Flying Tomato shows up with new hairstyle — will he cut his hair?
- When is the best time to teach your kids to ski or snowboard?
- Shaun White Superpipe at Northstar ski resort being used by other famed riders — Danny Davis, Elena Hight, Hannah Teter
- Shaun White looks forward to training at his Norhstar 22-foot high superpipe this season
- Environmentalist groups file lawsuit against Homewood expansion
- Mt. Rose ski resort in Lake Tahoe announces expansion plans
Enjoy this article? Receive e-mail alerts when new SF Skiing Examiner articles are available. Just click on the “Subscribe”button above.
Continue reading on modenook.com Lake Tahoe ski resorts reporting more than foot of new snow; more snow on way – San Francisco skiing | modenook.com http://modenook.com/skiing-in-san-francisco/lake-tahoe-ski-resorts-reporting-more-than-foot-of-new-snow-more-snow-on-way#ixzz1nggXFEYb