Western New York families are looking for meatless recipes to serve for Ash Wednesday and on Fridays during Lent. Creamy broccoli soup is an excellent way to stretch the family dollar and make a meatless meal your family will enjoy.
Serve creamy broccoli soup with grilled cheese sandwiches and a salad to make a complete meatless meal for your family on Fridays during the Lenten season.
Western New York shoppers can find all the ingredients for this recipe at local retailers:
- Lexington Co-op (807 Elmwood Ave., Buffalo 886-COOP)
- Budwey’s Markets (see website for location nearest you)
- Tops Markets (see website for location nearest you)
- Wegmans (see website for location nearest you)
Creamy broccoli soup can be made vegan with these substitutions:
- Earth Balance butter substitute for butter
- Soy milk for milk
- Almond milk or soy creamer for half-n-half
- Vegetable broth for chicken stock
- Non-dairy vegan cream of mushroom soup substitute
- Dayia vegan cheddar style shreds
- Morningstar veggie bacon strips
Creamy broccoli soup
- 4 Tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 cup sweet white or yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 4 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) cream of celery soup (make your own Cream of anything soup)
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup milk
- 4 cups chicken stock or broth
- 1 cup half-n-half
- 8 to 10 cups (about 2 pounds) fresh steamed broccoli florets
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- 12 slices crisply cooked and crumbled bacon
- In 6 to 8 quart stockpot on medium heat, melt butter and sauté onion and garlic until softened.
- Reduce heat to low and add canned soup and chicken stock. Briskly whisk out any lumps from the canned soup. Simmer on low heat until bubbly hot, about 30 minutes.
- Add half-n-half; simmer on low heat until bubbly hot, about 30 minutes. Add broccoli, simmer on low until bubbly hot, about 30 minutes.
- Serve in small bowls topped with shredded cheddar cheese and crumbled bacon.
- Yield: about 10 two-cup servings.
Rachael’s recipe notes:
- This soup freezes well in an airtight container for about two months. Creamy broccoli soup will keep in the refrigerator for up to 3 days if stored in airtight containers.
- If you do not have fresh broccoli, use 2 bags frozen broccoli florets, thawed and drained.
Want more meatless recipes for Lent? Click the Subscribe link found at the top of each Buffalo Cooking Examiner article.
More meatless soup recipes for Lent, including vegan substitutions:
- Corn chowder recipe
- Irish potato soup recipe
- Butternut squash soup recipe
- Spicy pumpkin soup recipe
- Red lentil soup
- Lentil soup recipe
All articles, recipes, recipe notes and adaptations (and photographs, where applicable) are under copyright and cannot be copied or reposted without prior written consent by the author. Partial reposting is permitted with a link back to the original article. For consent, questions or comments email email@example.com
- Follow Family Food Fun Holidays and Celebrations on Facebook
- Follow Easy Frugal Living on Facebook
- Follow Buffalo Frugal Living Examiner on Facebook
- Follow Rachael’s Food Adventures on Facebook
- Follow Rachael’s Food Buzz on Facebook and on Niagara Buzz
- Follow Rachael on Twitter @By_Rachael
- Email Rachael at firstname.lastname@example.org