I’ve been remiss about updating, so to get back in the habit of thinking about this space, I’m going to do the 30 Day TV Challenge that’s been floating around the interwebs. This is Day 1.
Day 01 – A show that should have never been canceled
This is way too easy. The answer is everything I have ever loved, because I’m a geek and I get emotionally attached to shows. If I’m forced to narrow it down, though, I’d have to answer Firefly. It’s probably pretty high up as an aswer for this question, but here are my reasons:
- It was incredibly well-written and bogglingly well-acted. It really couldn’t have been otherwise with a thesis that boils down to ‘cowboys in space, but not Star Trek’.
- Out of the fourteen episodes it had, there were none that were blanks. All of them developed the characters, the world, and the complicated moral and social situations they were existing in.
- There was none of a first season’s wheel-spinning to get up to speed. It was great right off the bat, and even with the slight realignments after the original pilot was pushed aside and so on, the story was there from the very beginning, and it had a definite direction.
- It was a fascinating world.
- It was encouraging to think that humanity could make it to the stars even without the spotless ships and higher moralities of something like Star Trek–this was gritty, often dirty, never easy real life, and it was amazing. And, at least some of the time, people were aware of how cool it was to live that life, which is an emotional truth missing from a lot of space-based shows. People pay attention, and think about themselves and their place in the world, and people are aware of coolness.
- And one fannish reason: Joss Whedon already proved that he could run a long-running show and keep up the quality throughout. Even a blah episode of Buffy was better than vast swathes of television, and Firefly started out stronger, more together, and more mature than Buffy did. It’s cruel to cut off potential like that.
Day 02 – A show that you wish more people were watching
Day 03 – Your favorite new show (aired this TV season)
Day 04 – Your favorite show ever
Day 05 – A show you hate
Day 06 – Favorite episode of your favorite TV show
Day 07 – Least favorite episode of your favorite TV show
Day 08 – A show everyone should watch
Day 09 – Best scene ever
Day 10 – A show you thought you wouldn’t like but ended up loving
Day 11 – A show that disappointed you
Day 12 – An episode you’ve watched more than 5 times
Day 13 – Favorite childhood show
Day 14 – Favorite male character
Day 15 – Favorite female character
Day 16 – Your guilty pleasure show
Day 17 – Favorite mini series
Day 18 – Favorite title sequence
Day 19 – Best TV show cast
Day 20 – Favorite kiss
Day 21 – Favorite ship
Day 22 – Favorite series finale
Day 23 – Most annoying character
Day 24 – Best quote
Day 25 – A show you plan on watching
Day 26 – OMG WTF? Season finale
Day 27 – Best pilot episode
Day 28 – First TV show obsession
Day 29 – Current TV show obsession
Day 30 – Saddest character death
What’s your single show that shouldn’t have been canceled?
Follow Samantha’s increasingly random tweets @pirategirljack, and her half-baked while-she-watches commentary on TV at What’s Sami Watching?