Puerto Rican icon and WBA world light-welterweight titlist Miguel Cotto denied to ESPN.com a published report Saturday that he had come to an agreement to again fight WBO world welterweight king Manny “Pac-Man” Pacquiao June 9 in Las Vegas.
“Do not pay attention to rumors,” said Cotto, 31, a four-time world champion in three weight divisions. “I have not made any decision yet nor reached any deal regarding my next fight. At the appropriate time, I will directly be announcing my next fight. I am discussing and analyzing options with my team.”
Cotto’s longtime adviser, attorney Gabriel Peñagarícano, also strongly refuted that a rematch with Pacquiao (54-3-2, 38 KOs) had been inked.
“It is absolutely false. There is no preliminary deal, no,” said Peñagarícano. “Other than knowing directly from (Top Rank’s) Todd (duBoef) and Bob that if a deal between Pacquiao and Mayweather isn’t made that they would want to sit down, we have not talked about it. Other than generalities we have not discussed the terms of a fight. We know that if the big fight (Pacquiao-Mayweather) does not happen that Top Rank will definitely consider as probably the best option Miguel as Pacquiao’s next fight.”
Cotto (37-2, 30 KOs), who retained his belt and earned revenge versus “The Tijuana Tornado” Antonio Margarito with a 10th round TKO in their December 3 grudge contest before an electric crowd of 21,239 at Madison Square Garden in New York City, is the third biggest pay-per-view attraction today.
Speculation has long run rampant that “Pretty Boy” Floyd Mayweather and Pacquiao (54-3-2, 38 KOs) will clash May 5 at the MGM Grand Arena.
Despite an estimated purse that could pay both boxers in excess of $50 million apiece, the absolute disdain between Pacquiao and Mayweather (42-0, 26) has jeopardized the likelihood that the prizefight will materialize and nothing has recently occurred to indicate otherwise.
“Floyd’s handlers have to consider that if the big fight doesn’t happen they have to consider the options, and Miguel would be an option,” Peñagarícano said. “But right now, everything is generalities. But we know things will be moving quickly.”
Since pulverizing and outclassing Margarito (38-8, 27 KOs), Cotto has now recorded five victories against one defeat since he lost a corrupt tangle with the evil Mexican nearly four years ago.
Roger “Pitt” Perron is a respected boxing trainer from Brockton (Mass.) who now works with Mike and Rich Cappiello at their gym, Cappiello Brothers Boxing and Training.
Perron is confident that Cotto is far from a spent prizefighter.
“Cotto isn’t done yet,” said Perron, 75, who worked with Marvelous Marvin Hagler. “He proved that against Margarito. The cheater got what he deserved.”
If the uncompromising and insatiable camps for Pacquiao and Mayweather can’t come to terms, Cotto would be a worthy adversary for either of the two legends this spring.
“Cotto isn’t done yet” and he will emphatically prove that if given the opportunity to throw fists with Mayweather or Pacquiao.
* I truly appreciate you taking the time to read my article. If you enjoyed this piece, please click the “subscribe” button at the top of this page and my articles will be sent directly to your email.
Much thanks again….Your readership means a lot to me!