This authentic Malaysian dish is a perfect breakfast consisting of coconut rice, scrambled eggs and anchovy (ikan bilis) mixed with onion and tomato.
The rice is best eaten at room temperature as it brings out the real coconut flavor. We added snow peas as a vegetable to complement our breakfast but any green Asian vegetable can be used as well.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
- 1 cup jasmine rice
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup water
- 6 eggs
- 4 oz anchovy filets
- ½ cup milk
- 3 tbsp tomato sauce
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp Sambal Oelek
- 1 cup snow peas (or any other green vegetable)
- ½ onion (minced)
- Fresh pepper to taste
- Soak the anchovy filets in milk overnight.
- Cut the anchovy in small pieces and mix with the tomato sauce and brown sugar. Season with pepper to taste and add the Sambal Oelek. Keep warm so the mixture can reduce until serving.
- Boil the rice in 1 cup of coconut and 1 cup of water. Let cool to room temperature.
- Clean the snow peas and blanch for 2 minutes in boiling water. Rinse and let drain.
- In a hot skillet, combine the peas with the minced onion until lightly seared.
- Whisk the eggs seasoned with pepper to taste and fry over low heat until scrambled.
Serve the rice and top with the tomato/anchovy sauce. Serve eggs and vegetable on the side.