Today is all about that delicious comfort food that makes you feel good all over. Hip hip hooray – Feb. 4 is National Homemade Soup Day. After all, who can resist a delicious bowl of steamin’ soup smack dab during the middle of winter?
While the origins of this food holiday are unknown, soup has been served up for centuries. Whether you prefer the old standards like tomato or chicken noodle or prefer hearty chili or steaming stews, today is the perfect time to whip up a bowl of homemade soup. Check out the amazing soups listed below – many are 5-star rated. Soup’s on!
30 Killer Homemade Soup Recipes
- Rich Homemade Chicken Stock – Many soup recipes require chicken stock. Instead of buying it, why not make your own instead?
- The Lady’s Chicken Noodle Soup – This 5-star recipe from Paula Deen, has nearly 400 reviews.
- Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe – The Food Network’s Tyler Florence shares this 5-star chicken soup recipe that calls for homemade chicken stock, dried wide egg noodles, cooked chicken, onion, carrots, celery, garlic cloves, parsley and a bay leaf.
- Chicken Enchilada Soup – This simple recipe can be made in the crockpot. You’ll need black beans, diced tomatoes, frozen corn, chicken breast, an onion, garlic, chicken broth, tomato sauce, chipotle chili in adobe sauce and taco seasoning.
- Boilermaker Tailgate Chili – If you are lookin’ for a great chili, this 5-star recipe has nearly 2,500 reviews!
- My Mom’s Chili – If you like your chili thick and chunky, you better check out this recipe with some kick to it!
- Debdoozie’s Blue Ribbon Chili – Here’s another 5-star chili recipe that must be fabulous. Nearly 100,000 people have saved it!
- Taco Soup – This 5-star soup recipe, from Ms. Paula Deen, calls for ground beef, pinto and kidney beans, onions, whole kernel corn, diced and Mexican-style stewed tomatoes, can of tomatoes with chilies, green chilies, black and green olives, package of taco seasoning mix and package of ranch salad dressing mix. You’ll also need corn chips, cheese and sour cream too.
- Easy Crockpot Beef Stew – You’ll need stew meat, red potatoes, an onion, carrots, a can of Campbell’s Cream of Mushroom and Tomato Soup.
- Homemade Tomato Soup – All you need is a grilled cheese sandwich along with this 5-star soup recipe, and you are good to go!
- Mom’s Tomato Vegetable Soup – This 5-star soup includes a 3-pound broiler-fryer chicken.
- Leak and Potato Soup – You’ll need leeks, butter, potatoes, stock, chives and cream for this recipe.
- Creamy Broccoli Soup – This recipe is from the domestic diva herself, Martha Stewart.
- French Onion Soup – This 5-star recipe from Tyler Florence calls for beef broth, garlic cloves, butter, onions, bay leaves, thyme, all-purpose flour, a half a bottle of red wine, a baguette and Gruyere cheese.
- Roasted Tomato Basil Soup – Kick up that hum-drum tomato soup with this 5-star recipe from the Barefoot Contessa!
- Potato Parmesan Soup – Besides getting a great soup recipe adapted from Mark Gold, you’ll also learn about “Stone soup.”
- Winter Vegetable Soup – Substitute veggie broth for chicken broth and you’ve got a vegetarian soup.
- Beer Bacon and Cheese Soup –This soup, from Taylor Takes State, looks amazing! Besides bacon, beer, Colby jack and Wisconsin cheddar cheese, you’ll need chicken broth, dry mustard, butter, garlic, onion, celery, carrot, flour and heavy cream.
- Cheddar Apple Beer Soup – Voted Best Vegetarian soup, you’ll need granny smith apples, carrots, russet potatoes, cider or apple juice, cheddar cheese, onion, veggie stock, a couple of cans of beer, garlic and half-and-half or cream.
- Italian Wedding Soup – This 5-star recipe, from Giada De Laurentiis, includes homemade meatballs too.
- Classic Minestrone – Loaded with veggies and greens, this meatless Italian soup recipe is classic Martha Stewart.
- Sausage, Beans and Broccoli Rabe Soup – This 5-star recipe, from Rachael Ray, calls for Italian sweet sausage, onions, potatoes, garlic, white beans, broccoli rabe and greens, chicken stock and cheese.
- Broccoli and White Bean Soup – This recipe, from Mario Batali, calls for fresh broccoli, 2 cans white beans, hot pepper flakes, garlic cloves, onions, olive oil, Parmigiano-Reggiano rind and crusty bread.
- Black Bean Soup – You’ll need chicken broth, onions, garlic cloves, ketchup, tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce, bacon, chili powder, cilantro, lime juice, scallions and 4 cans of black beans for this 5-star recipe.
- Super-Tuscan White Bean Soup – Speaking of beans, besides a 5-star soup recipe, you’ll also get a Brushetta and Basil Topping recipe too.
- Lentil Soup – If you have never tried lentil soup, now’s your chance. This 5-star recipe, from Alton Brown, calls for olive oil, onion, carrot, celery, tomatoes, broth, cumin, coriander and a pound of lentils.
- Parker’s Split Pea Soup – Besides stock, you’ll need a pound of dried split peas for this 5-star soup recipe.
- Cream of Mushroom Soup – Why buy it in a can when you can make your own? This 5-star recipe from the Barefoot Contessa calls for shitake, portobellow and cremini mushrooms, butter, onions, carrots, butter, all-purpose flour, half-and-half and heavy cream and dry white wine.
- Sweet Potato and Chipotle Soup – This smooth and creamy soup, from Martha Stewart, has a bit of a kick to it.
- Gazpacho Ajo Blanco – Who said soup has to be hot and steamy? This garlicy soup is served chilled.
Today is also Thank a Mailman Day!