As you age, your beauty needs may change. Of course, when you’re young, the body, skin, and scalp produce natural oils and regenerate cells. Unfortunately; as you move into your 30s, 40s, and so on; the body begins to change, it seems with each decade, the body goes through a different set of changes. This is why it’s important to consider changing your beauty products according to how your body changes.
Many may ask, what are the best products for me? There are so many products on the market making many promises to help with hydrating the skin, reducing wrinkles, and many other beauty promises. The most important things to remember are to ensure you’re always hydrating the skin. As the skin begins to age with time, it produces less oil as well as regenerate cells less often. When the skin and hair are not being hydrated thoroughly, with the correct amount of moisture and oil, the skin will begin to show fine lines/wrinkles and the hair can break easily. Seeing all the promises of products on the market, have you ever considered home remedies?
Here are a few natural home remedies that will aide in hydrating the skin, scalp, and hair. Yes, if you’re dealing with dry skin and dull hair, try a chive oil facial and hair mask treatment. The next time you take a trip to the grocery store to purchase some chives for a recipe, don’t let those chives go to waste, try the chive recipe at the end of this article.
Chives, much like their cousins, garlic and onions hold many great health benefits and are known for their healing qualities. Just to give a few; these are the benefits you’ll find in chives: natural antibiotic (cleansing power), antioxidants, flavanoids, calcium, vitamin C, B6, germanium, potassium, and magnesium. Therefore, if you have dry skin and thinning hair, or just want to stimulate hair growth, then try the chive facial and hair mask treatment. All of the benefits in chives help to hydrate the skin and strengthen hair follicles to stop breakage, increasing scalp stimulation for hair growth, giving you a fuller and shinier head of hair. It can also help in reducing and/or eliminating an itching scalp.
How to prep chives for facial, scalp, and hair
1. Use fresh or organic chives from grocery store.
2. Ensure all chives are clean and free of limp or brown pieces.
3. Boil water and add a handful of chives into the pot of boiling water for about 30 seconds.
4. Remove chives from the boiling water and chill in a bowl of icy water for 1-2 minutes.
5. Drain and squeeze out water.
6. In a blender, add chives and a ½ cup of canola oil or extra virgin olive oil, puree for 2 minutes.
7. Strain oil to separate oil from chive meat.
8. You can use the oil or mashed chive meat on your face, scalp or hair.
For facial mask
1. Apply mashed chive puree onto face.
2. Let puree remain on face for 30 minutes.
3. Cleanse and dab face to dry and apply moisturizer of your choice
For scalp and hair mask (Use as a mask on scalp, hair, and ends or use in your shampoo)
1. Apply puree to scalp and massage well, add puree to hair and ends
2. Place plastic cap on head
3. Let it sit for 30-60 minutes
4. Shampoo and condition as usual
For an overnight scalp and hair mask
1. Apply and massage scalp well as you would for scalp and hair mask 45 minutes before bed
2. Place plastic cap on head and secure cap well to ensure puree won’t get on pillow/sheets
3. Let puree remain overnight
4. Shampoo and condition as usual
Note: This chive mask is messy, but worth it. In order to get the best results try adding this mask to your routine two to three times or more a week. Adding to you regimen up to three times or more a week, will allow you to see if it really works, you should certainly see a big difference in your hair and scalp.