Oklahoma State wrestling confirmed its top-ranked status with a dominating 35-3 win over North Carolina State at Gallagher-Iba Arena in Stillwater, Okla. Friday night.
The Cowboys won nine of ten matches, putting up bonus points in five, including a string of major-decision victories from 165-184 pounds, along with heavyweight Alan Gelogaev‘s technical fall, and 2011 NCAA champ Jordan Oliver‘s pin at 133.
As further proof of home team dominance, Oklahoma State scored 33 takedowns (11 of those coming from Oliver) to NCSU’s seven.
The high point for the Wolfpack: No. 12 Darrius Little scoring a 5-3 upset of No. 14 Josh Kindig at 141 pounds.
With the win, Oklahoma State is now 8-0 overall, and 3-0 in the Big 12, while NCSU falls to 4-5 for the season.
- 125: No. 10 Jon Morrison (OSU) dec. Coltin Fought (NCSU); 5-3,SV1
- 133: No. 1 Jordan Oliver (OSU) pinned Ben Elliott (NCSU); 4:07
- 141: No. 12 Darrius Little (NCSU) dec. No. 14 Josh Kindig (OSU); 5-3
- 149: No. 2 Jamal Parks (OSU) dec. Matt Nereim (NCSU); 6-4
- 157: No. 12 Albert White (OSU) dec. Colton Palmer (NCSU); 7-5
- 165: Dallas Bailey (OSU) maj. dec. Nijel Jones (NCSU); 14-6
- 174: No. 4 Chris Perry (OSU) maj. dec. Quinton Godley (NCSU); 10-1
- 184: Chris McNeil (OSU) maj. dec. Robert O’Neill (NCSU); 15-6
- 197: No. 10 Blake Rosholt (OSU) dec. KaRonne Jones (NCSU); 1-0
- Hwt: No. 3 Alan Gelogaev (OSU) tech fall Josh Davis (NCSU); 16-1,3:13
Want to know more? For more detailed coverage, including bout-by-bout play-by-play, visit the official Oklahoma State wrestling website.
Stay on top of college wrestling! Be among the first to know — click the “subscribe” button on this page to get the latest news from College Wrestling Examiner, winner of Amateur Wrestling News’ Dellinger Award as wrestling writer of 2011. You won’t miss a single thing all year ’round… and best of all, it’s absolutely FREE!
College Wrestling 101: Links to College Wrestling Examiner articles answering basic questions about wrestling, including rules, scoring, uniforms, more
Follow College Wrestling Examiner Mark Palmer on Twitter