As the college wrestling dual-meet season comes to a close, Minnesota and Penn State remain at the top of the NCAA Division I wrestling rankings released Tuesday.
There’s no change at the top of this week’s rankings from last week; D1CollegeWrestling.net (D1CW) and InterMatWrestle.com continue to have the Nittany Lions No. 1, Golden Gophers ranked second… while the TheOpenMat.com (TOM) and the NWCA/USA Today Coaches Poll have Minnesota atop the rankings for the second week in a row, with the 2011 NCAA team titlewinners in second place.
A similar situation exists in ranking the No. 3 and No. 4 teams. All but InterMat have Oklahoma State ranked third, followed by Iowa listed fourth; the other three rankings reverse those standings.
This weekend, most major college wrestling programs will be participating in conference championships which will determine qualifiers for the 2012 NCAA Division I Wrestling Championships, to be held March 15-17 in St. Louis. (One exception: The Pac 12 conference championships were held this past weekend, with Oregon State winning the team title.)
In reviewing the latest team rankings, note that InterMat’s rankings are based on NCAA tournament strength, not dual-meet performance… while the NWCA/USA Today Coaches Poll is an actual survey of college wrestling coaches, based on dual-meet performance; the other three rankings are determined by the staffs of their respective websites.
Top ten team rankings for week of Feb 27:
- Penn State (D1CW, InterMat), Minnesota (TOM, NWCA)
- Minnesota (D1CW, InterMat); Penn State (TOM, NWCA)
- Oklahoma State (D1CW, TOM, NWCA); Iowa (InterMat)
- Iowa (D1CW, TOM, NWCA); Oklahoma State (InterMat)
- Ohio State (D1CW); Cornell (InterMat); Illinois (TOM, NWCA)
- Illinois (D1CW); Michigan (InterMat); Cornell (TOM, NWCA)
- Cornell (D1CW); Ohio State/Wyoming tied for seventh (InterMat); Nebraska (TOM); Ohio State (NWCA)
- Nebraska (D1CW, NWCA); Ohio State (TOM)
- Missouri (D1CW); Lehigh (InterMat); Wyoming (TOM); Pitt (NWCA)
- Michigan (D1CW); Iowa State (InterMat); Missouri (TOM, NWCA)
Stay on top of college wrestling! Be among the first to know — click the “subscribe” button on this page to get the latest news from College Wrestling Examiner, winner of Amateur Wrestling News’ Dellinger Award as wrestling writer of 2011. You won’t miss a single thing all year ’round… and best of all, it’s absolutely FREE!
College Wrestling 101: Links to College Wrestling Examiner articles answering basic questions about wrestling, including rules, scoring, uniforms, more
Follow College Wrestling Examiner Mark Palmer on Twitter