Are you that perfect combination of P.T. Barnum, Mother Teresa and Ben Bernanke?
Full disclosure: That’s this writer’s interpretation of what’s required to be a successful Managing Director of a professional theatre.
Performance Network Theatre (PNT), the wonderful, professional theatre in Ann Arbor Michigan, has announced that they are looking for the right person to manage the business operations at PNT. The Managing Director “will be responsible for generating and managing the resources necessary to achieve PNT’s mission in a fiscally sustainable manner, and making and implementing plans to ensure the theatre’s longevity. While co-managing Performance Network Theatre with the Artistic Director, the Managing Director reports directly to the Board of Directors.”
The idea behind this move is to allow PNT’s gifted Artistic Director, David Wolber, to focus his energies on all artistic and technical programs, while the new Managing Director will be responsible for marketing, development, and financial management oversight, and general business operations.
This move also allows current Executive Director Carla Milarch to move into a new position as Associate Artistic Director. As such, she will support the core programming of the professional season while taking on responsibility for Literary Management and the oversight for PNT’s ancillary programs, including the Fireside Festival, The Mosh Pit Series, the Children’s Theatre Network and all Education and Outreach programs. As importantly, this redefined position will allow the PNT community to tap into Milarch’s considerable creative talents, which include her work as a director, sound designer and actress, for which she has won numerous awards.
“I’m looking forward to working with Carla as her participation with our programming increases,” said Wolber. “We’ve been working together for years, as staff members and as artists, so it’s exciting to think about what we’ll be able to accomplish together: more great theatre, no doubt, as well as increased educational outreach and artist development programs.”
If you are interested in the new position, or know someone who is, here are the major duties and responsibilities of the Managing Director:
- With the Board of Directors and Artistic Director, manage and facilitate all major planning efforts to accomplish the mission of Performance Network.
- Manage 3 direct report staff members: Marketing Director, Business Manager, and
- Development Director. Establish clear expectations, timelines and measurements for success of the staff.
- Develop (with AD and board of directors) and manage annual budgets, based on analysis of previous budgets and overall fiscal health of the organization.
- With the Board of Directors and Artistic Director, Develop and manage all Finance, Marketing and Development budgets, plans, and activities.
- With the Board of Directors and Artistic Director, set and enforce organizational policies.
- Provide timely weekly, monthly and quarterly financial reports to the Board of Directors
- Manage cash flow and prioritization accounts payable.
- With the Artistic Director, facilitate communication for all full board and board committee efforts.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Management-level experience in the arts, theatre, or other non-profit organization,
- Strong leadership and organization skills, especially in the areas of Marketing, Finance and Development,
- Experience overseeing and leading a team,
- Ability to create, analyze and respond to financial reports,
- Strong communication skills – on the phone, electronically, and in person,
- A professional demeanor,
- A desire to constantly push the envelope of success through self-motivation and hard work,
- Willingness to commit to a rigorous schedule along with the ultra-dedicated Performance Network staff.
Interested parties should send a letter, resume and salary requirements to: Managing Director Search, Performance Network Theatre, 120 East Huron, Ann Arbor, MI 48104. Email: email@example.com. PNT is an Equal Opportunity Employer.