Two chocolate desserts perfect for Valentine’s Day, in fact perfect for any day are pots de crème and chocolate mousse. The difference is slight between the two desserts in gredients and it is the textures of each that make them different. Pots de crème is denser whereas chocolate mousse incorporates whippe d egg whites as well as thewhipped cream into the chocolate mixture making the taste lighter.
After reviewing the recipes consider jazzing up the dessert by adding 1 ounce of rum to each. You won’t be disappointed! All ingredients for each are available at your local Publix and Kroger Supermarket.
Pots De Crème
- 12 oz. semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 4 large eggs at room temperature
- 2 t vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt for topping
- 8 oz. hot strong coffee
- 1 C heavy cream
- 2 t sugar
- Place chocolate chips in a blender. Crack in the eggs, the salt and vanilla. Pulse 6 or 7 times until chips are partially pulverized.
- Turn on blender and slowly pour hot coffee through the top of blender until the chocolate mixture is smooth and creamy
- Pour into demitasse cups, wine glasses or Mason jars for an n interesting presentation.
- Top with whipped cream.
- 8 oz. semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 6 T unsalted butter
- 3 egg yolks
- ¼ C strong coffee
- 3 egg whites
- ¼ C sugar
- 1 C heavy whipping cream
- 1 oz. Triple Sec or Rum
- Have all components of the recipe ready before you begin melting the chocolate.
- Separate the eggs.
- In a double boiler melt chocolate with softened butter.
- Fold in egg yolks one at a time stirring quickly so the yolks won’t scramble.
- Add coffee and liquor.
- In separate bowls whip egg whites with sugar into hard peaks
- In another bowl whip heavy cream
- Fold both into the “cooled” chocolate mixture.
- Pour the mousse into small bowls or wine glasses for individual service.Dollop whipped cream on top and/or add a slice of strawberry.
Follow the Buckhead Cooking Examiner by subscribing to this column and receive the best new recipes and interesting facts and tips about food for you and your family. For seafood recipes, click here.In addition, metro Atlanta has a lot of fun stuff going on and this Atlanta Community Examiner has all the nitty gritty.