As for any spectator sport, dog lovers want to sound bright and ahead of the game when making conversation with other affictionados. This is very easy for anyone in the dog fancy but more casual observers can always use a little help.
Here are a few tidbits about the new breeds you’ll see this year at the 136th annual Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show.
How to pronounce the name of each breed:
- Entlebucher (ENT-LEE-BOOKUR) Mountain Dog
- Norwegian Lundehund (LUN-DE-HUND)
- Xoloitzcuintli (SHOW-LO-ITZ-QUINT-LY)
- Cesky (CHESS-KEY) Terrier
- Finnish Lapphund (LAP-HUND)
And lovely dog has an easy name to say: American English Coonhound.
Three of the dogs introduced to the public via a press conference this afternoon were from New York City:
- Game Changer, a 17 month old American English Coonhound. He is from Jamaica Estates in Queens, NY. Owned and handled by Mr. Richard Moore.
- Alma Dulce, a 2 year old Xoloitzcuintli. She is from Manhattan. Her owner is Mr. Jose Barrera.
- Myles is a 2 year old Finnish Lapphund. He is from The Bronx and is owned and handled by Ms. Barbara Kennedy.
Now you can brag about our city’s contributions to the new breeds in the show with as much confidence and poise as the dogs’ possess!
The 136th annual Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show will take place at Madison Square Garden on February 13th and 14th, day and evening programs.