The 18th Annual Screen Actors Guild Awards are 48 hours away. Sunday night the best of the entertainment business will be minutes from downtown Los Angeles sipping Champagne and enjoying their time to find out if they won at the Shrine Exposition Center. Feeling left out of all the celebrity hoopla? Well you don’t have to as this could be a great chance to check out the unofficial SAG Awards drinking game.
While some can be empathetic that it happens on a night before work, don’t let that detour anyone from grabbing a shot glass and playing along. Winners are those individuals who blackout prior to identifying exactly what designer dress Lea Michele is wearing OR if not drinking booze, when the red carpet doesn’t seem to matter (which will be close to bedtime.)*
Let’s be clear, don’t mix alcohol or expect to be out of the running early on. In fact if working on Monday try a nonalcoholic beverage like soda or San Pellegrino. Don’t feel alone about that as those folks working the show are drinking light too (bloody boss!)
First pick a drink that fits personal style. To help decide consider the suggestion of spirits from a favorite SAG Awards show nominated in a Cast Ensemble Comedy Series or Cast Ensemble Drama Series:
- For 30 Rock: Vodka
- For The Big Bang Theory: White Wine Sangria
- For Glee: 7Up
- For Modern Family: Gin
- For The Office: Merlot
- For Boardwalk Empire: Whiskey
- For Breaking Bad: Screwdriver
- For Dexter: Bloody Mary
- For Game of Thrones: Punch in the Stomach
- For The Good Wife: Long Beach Ice Tea
Drink a big gulp when:
- Every time the camera flashes to Brad Pitt.
- Every time the music doesn’t interrupt a long speech.
- Every time the camera cuts to George Clooney.
- Every time the orchestra interrupts.
- For tearing up entertainers before the thank-you speech.
- For every thank-you speech that starts with “Oh My God.”
- For every red-carpet actress who forgets to mention who they’re wearing.
- When Mary Tyler Moore takes the stage.
Take a shot:
- Every time someone says Modern Family.
- Every time Betty White makes you laugh.
- If Alec Badwin is shown on camera and isn’t playing a hand held device
- Any time a winner claims they “weren’t expecting” the award.
- If George Clooney loses.
- If George Clooney wins.
- If Uggie the dog is allow on stage.
Drink zealously when:
- When Tina Fey photo bombs another entertainer
- If Kyle Chandler, doesn’t win Best male actor in drama series.
- If Angelina Jolie shows up looking sexier than Brad Pitt.
- If Betty White decides to say a raunchy joke on stage.
- If Ricky Gervais somehow decides to show up unannounced.
- If the Glee cast breaks into a song and dance on stage.
Throw the bottle away and move to Hollywood when:
- A big named actor trips, falls or makes a fool of themselves on stage for a moment that will be seen on viral video for days to come.
*In no way does anyone endorse alcohol binging. This term was used metaphorically and shouldn’t be done during award shows at any time. However, responsible drinking is OK.
Join us for live coverage of the SAG Awards. From the red carpet to the acceptance speech, get all the details from one of the biggest award shows in Hollywood. Reporting begins on Sunday, January 29, at 1pm Pacific/4pm Eastern.