Built at the turn of the 20th Century and located on the corner of Grand and North Market streets, Saints Teresa and Bridget Church was built at a time when the former St. Teresa church parish was experiencing a spike in membership. Years later, in 2003, St. Bridget of Erin merged with Sts. Teresa of Avila to form Saints Teresa and Bridget Catholic Church. Apart from the weekly mass, Saints Teresa and Bridget Church also host many outreach programs such as after school classes and programs for at risk children. Being an active church, it is best to call the church office or view the website for times before going to visit. The Grand Center Inn is the closest hotel to the church.
The history of Saints Teresa and Bridget Church dates back to 1865. Late in that year, the first church for this parish was built. In September of 1866, Bishop Peter Kenrick arrived and blessed the church. It wouldn’t be until August of 1876 that the church was entered into the books for the State of Missouri as St. Teresa Roman Catholic Church Association. By the end of the 19th Century, the church had experienced a spike in membership. Due to the increased membership, a new church was built in 1900 at the corner of Grand and North Market Streets. The church would stand undamaged until the winter of 1981-82 when snow damaged the church’s inner ceiling, including a number of the tapestries that covered the ceiling. Two years later the tapestries were restored and the ceiling was repainted. On November 24 of that year, the Auxiliary Bishop of St. Louis J. Terry Steib led the rededication mass of the church. In the years prior to this taking place, the Missionaries of Charity started working with the parish in 1979 by opening a shelter for homeless women and children as well as providing meals via a soup kitchen. The shelter and soup kitchen continue to be run in the church’s new complex. In 2003, the St. Louis Archdiocese presented a request to merge St. Teresa of Avila and St. Bridget of Erin churches to form Saints Teresa and Bridget Church.
The church that St. Teresa merged with use to serve an Irish-American congregation and was founded in 1853, but by the 1950s and 1960s, the congregation started to change from Irish-American to African American, but its mission of worship and outreach has not changed. Today, Saints Teresa and Bridget Church continues in its mission of worship and outreach in the North St. Louis community that it is situated in while at the same time embracing the histories of St. Teresa of Avila and St. Bridget of Erin Churches. In the end, Saints Teresa and Bridget Church is a landmark to rich church history of St. Louis. At the same time, the church major architectural landmark in the city and a must see for those into architecture.