Thanks to several days of snow, this weekend will be among the best conditions all season at Lake Tahoe ski resorts.
This is perfect timing for skiers and riders who are planning a trip for the upcoming President’s Day holiday, which stretches into Monday. And more snow is expected to fall this weekend.
The snow arrived Sunday evening and has continued off and on through Wednesday night, dumping more than two feet at some resorts. Many resorts got at least a foot of snow. Leading the way was Kirkwood ski resort, which is reporting 28 inches of snow in the past 48 hours.
Both Squaw Valley and Alpine Meadows ski resorts were reporting 26 inches from this storm, while Sierra-at-Tahoe had close to two feet (21 inches) off fresh snow.
After receiving a foot of new snow on Tuesday night and early Wednesday morning, Heavenly ski resort announced it will open Milky Way Bowl for the first time this season, giving the resort additional expert and off-piste terrain. Heavenly, which has received 18 inches overall, will have 50 percent of the resort open, totaling 2,400 acres.
“Mother Nature has finally come through at a perfect time, as we head into the President’s holiday. Our guests can expect a great variety of terrain,” said Pete Sonntag, Heavenly’s general manager. “February and March are traditionally our snowiest months, and it looks like the storm door may be opening. We hope this means big snow for the rest of the season.”
Below is a look at the snow report for the previous 24 hours, as reported Feb. 15.
New snow: 8-12″
Snow base: 30-60″
Location: Highway 89, six miles west of Tahoe City
Web site: www.skialpine.com
New Snow: 5-8″
Snow base: 29-36″
Location: Interstate 80 at Donner Summit
Web site: www.borealski.com
New Snow: 3-7″
Snow base: 30-40″
Location: Highway 431, Incline Village
Web site: www.diamondpeak.com
New Snow: 9″
Snow base: 28-40″
Location: Ski Run Boulevard in South Lake Tahoe
Web site: www.skiheavenly.com
New Snow: 5-8″
Snow totals: 36-50″
Location: Highway 89, six miles south of Tahoe City
Web site: www.skihomewood.com
New Snow: 10-12″
Snow totals, base depth: 64-72″
Location: Highway 88 in Kirkwood
Web site: www.kirkwood.com
New Snow: 4-6″
Snow totals: 28-46″
Location: Mt. Rose Highway in Reno
Web site: www.skirose.com
New Snow: 4-5″
Snow totals: 25-36″
Location: Highway 267 near Truckee
Web site: www.NorthstarCalifornia.com
New Snow: 4-6″
Snow totals: 21-47″
Location: Highway 50, 12 miles west of South Lake Tahoe
Web Site: www.sierraattahoe.com
New Snow: 6-8″
Snow totals: 38-48″
Location: Highway 89, six miles from Tahoe City
Web site: www.squaw.com
New Snow: 3-7″
Snow totals: 26-49″
Location: Interstate 80, Norden exit
Web site: www.sugarbowl.com
Read more modenook.com ski stories:
- Snow sets up resorts with new snow heading into President’s Day weekend
- Squaw says its ski-in, ski-out Starbucks the first of its kind worldwide
- Check out the many discount lift tickets offered by Lake Tahoe ski resorts
- Number of people who ski and snowboard on the rise nationwide
- Lindsey Vonn joins select club by capturing 50th World Cup victory
- Head to the backcountry or take lessons from Olympic legend Jonny Moseley
- Shaun White takes Winter X Games with perfect score on Superpipe
- Could Lake Tahoe host the next Winter X Games?
- Tahoe has many family-friendly ski resorts that also feature a friendly price
- Lake Tahoe ski resorts open new terrain
- Check out Shaun White video on “Conan’ this week. Flying Tomato shows up with new hairstyle — will he cut his hair?
- When is the best time to teach your kids to ski or snowboard?
- Shaun White Superpipe at Northstar ski resort being used by other famed riders — Danny Davis, Elena Hight, Hannah Teter
- Shaun White looks forward to training at his Norhstar 22-foot high superpipe this season
- Environmentalist groups file lawsuit against Homewood expansion
- Mt. Rose ski resort in Lake Tahoe announces expansion plans
Enjoy this article? Receive e-mail alerts when new SF Skiing Examiner articles are available. Just click on the “Subscribe”button above.
Continue reading on modenook.com Snow report: Several Lake Tahoe ski resorts report foot or more of fresh powder – San Francisco skiing | modenook.com http://modenook.com/skiing-in-san-francisco/snow-report-several-lake-tahoe-ski-resorts-report-foot-or-more-of-fresh-powder#ixzz1mWPYAg1z