A storm that arrived in Northern California on Sunday evening and continued into Monday, dumped the first real measurable snow totals in three weeks at Lake Tahoe ski resorts.
It’s a timely arrival for skiing and snowboarding, creating the snow buzz that many Lake Tahoe ski resorts were hoping to hear heading into the three-day President’s Weekend.
“We are extremely excited about the new snow and optimistic we will continue to get snow showers throughout the week, giving us great skiing and riding for the President’s Weekend,” said Steve Hemphill, spokesperson for Sierra-at-Tahoe, which received 9-14 inches of snow from the recent storm.
The snow provided a powder day for skiing and snowboarding on Monday and another one can be expected today. Tahoe resorts reported receiving between 4-16 inches of new snow in the past 48 hours.
A resort that annually receives among the highest snow totals in the Tahoe region, Kirkwood ski resort was reporting 12-16 inches.
According to the National Weather Service, snow showers are expected to start again Tuesday evening and continue into Wednesday. More snow could also arrive Saturday through Monday.
Heavenly ski resort received 6 inches of new snow from the storm. That meant turning off the snowmaking system, which has been running quite regularly since December.
“It’s nice of Mother Nature to show up and give our snowmakers the night off,” said Pete Sonntag, Heavenly’s general manager.
Below is a look at the snow report for the morning of Feb. 14.
New snow: 9-12″
Snow base: 26-58″
Location: Highway 89, six miles west of Tahoe City
Web site: www.skialpine.com
New Snow: 7-10″
Snow base: 29-36″
Location: Interstate 80 at Donner Summit
Web site: www.borealski.com
New Snow: 4″
Snow base: 30-40″
Location: Highway 431, Incline Village
Web site: www.diamondpeak.com
New Snow: 6″
Snow base: 25-35″
Location: Ski Run Boulevard in South Lake Tahoe
Web site: www.skiheavenly.com
New Snow: 5-9″
Snow totals: 33-46″
Location: Highway 89, six miles south of Tahoe City
Web site: www.skihomewood.com
New Snow: 12-16″
Snow totals, base depth: 58-64″
Location: Highway 88 in Kirkwood
Web site: www.kirkwood.com
New Snow: 2-3″
Snow totals: 28-46″
Location: Mt. Rose Highway in Reno
Web site: www.skirose.com
New Snow: 9-10″
Snow totals: 29-35″
Location: Highway 267 near Truckee
Web site: www.NorthstarCalifornia.com
New Snow: 9-14″
Snow totals: 19-46″
Location: Highway 50, 12 miles west of South Lake Tahoe
Web Site: www.sierraattahoe.com
New Snow: 5-7″
Snow totals: 36-44″
Location: Highway 89, six miles from Tahoe City
Web site: www.squaw.com
New Snow: 6-9″
Snow totals: 19-38″
Location: Interstate 80, Norden exit
Web site: www.sugarbowl.com
Read more modenook.com ski stories:
- Snow sets up resorts with new snow heading into President’s Day weekend
- Squaw says its ski-in, ski-out Starbucks the first of its kind worldwide
- Check out the many discount lift tickets offered by Lake Tahoe ski resorts
- Number of people who ski and snowboard on the rise nationwide
- Lindsey Vonn joins select club by capturing 50th World Cup victory
- Head to the backcountry or take lessons from Olympic legend Jonny Moseley
- Shaun White takes Winter X Games with perfect score on Superpipe
- Could Lake Tahoe host the next Winter X Games?
- Tahoe has many family-friendly ski resorts that also feature a friendly price
- Lake Tahoe ski resorts open new terrain
- Check out Shaun White video on “Conan’ this week. Flying Tomato shows up with new hairstyle — will he cut his hair?
- When is the best time to teach your kids to ski or snowboard?
- Shaun White Superpipe at Northstar ski resort being used by other famed riders — Danny Davis, Elena Hight, Hannah Teter
- Shaun White looks forward to training at his Norhstar 22-foot high superpipe this season
- Environmentalist groups file lawsuit against Homewood expansion
- Mt. Rose ski resort in Lake Tahoe announces expansion plans
Enjoy this article? Receive e-mail alerts when new SF Skiing Examiner articles are available. Just click on the “Subscribe”button above.
Continue reading on modenook.com Lake Tahoe resorts receive much-needed snow, setting up President’s Day weekend – San Francisco skiing | modenook.com http://modenook.com/skiing-in-san-francisco/lake-tahoe-resorts-receive-much-needed-snow-setting-up-president-s-day-weekend#ixzz1mMrgriRk