Today is the 100th anniversary of the birth of Charles Addams. Addams was an American cartoonist, known for his particularly dark humor and macabre characters. His first cartoon appeared in the New Yorker, in 1933.
One of Addams more famous characterizations, was that spooky of the Addams Family.
Faye Abrams, of Berkely Springs, WV sent this recipe to me.
For the muffins:
- 2/3 cup butter
- 3/4 cup caster sugar
- 3/4 cup self-rising flour
- 3 medium eggs
- 2Tbs. cocoa powder
- 1Tbs. milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
For the butter cream:
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup icing sugar
- 1Tbs. cocoa powder
For the decoration:
- 1 cup fondant icing
- Red, yellow, green & black food coloring
- Icing sugar to dust
Pre-heat oven to 350 F. Line a 12 muffin pan with cupcake liners.
1. Put all muffin ingredients into a food processor and process until smooth, thick batter. Distribute mixture evenly between the 12 cupcake liners. Bake in the pre-heated oven for 20 minutes, or until risen and browned. Once fully cooled, you can get on with the fun part- decorating!
2. Make butter cream by combining together the butter, icing sugar and cocoa powder. Keep mixing until it’s a soft, spreadable consistency.
3. Take 1/3 cup of the fondant and split into 4 equal balls. Color each one a different color (red, green, yellow and black), then wrap each ball in a bit of plastic wrap while making the ‘bandages’. (The fondant dries out quite quickly, so keep it covered whenever you’re not using it).
4. Separate the remaining 2/3 cup of fondant into 3 balls (it’s easier to roll out in smaller amounts), put plenty of icing sugar on your work surface and rolling pin.
5. Roll the white fondant to about 1/8 in. thick. (Lifting the icing and re-dusting your work surface between rolls will help stop it sticking.)
6. Using a sharp knife, cut the rolled-out fondant into thin strips approx. 1/4 in. wide.
7. Spread the butter cream over the surface of the muffin. Layer the fondant bandages on top, leaving a gap for the eyes.
8. Now make your eye balls from the colored fondant and put them in place- the black fondant pupils might need a dot of milk on the underside to help them stick.
Eat well; and live long!
Comments, subscribe, or share a recipe: firstname.lastname@example.org
Check out my websites: