A St. Patrick’s Day Irish feast would not be complete without the pinnacle corned beef and cabbage as the center piece. While we all have 100 recipes for corned beef and cabbage; this is the best and easiest version you will find anywhere!
Corned beef and cabbage
- 3 pounds corned beef brisket with spice packet
- 10 small red potatoes
- 5 carrots, peeled and cut into 3-inch pieces
- 1 large head cabbage, cut into small wedges
- Place corned beef in large pot or Dutch oven and cover with water. Add the spice packet that came with the corned beef. Cover pot and bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Simmer approximately 50 minutes per pound or until tender.
- Add whole potatoes and carrots, and cook until the vegetables are almost tender. Add cabbage and cook for 15 more minutes. Remove meat and let rest 15 minutes.
- Place vegetables in a bowl and cover. Add as much broth (cooking liquid reserved in the Dutch oven or large pot) as you want. Slice meat across the grain.
In Raleigh, you can find fresh ingredients at great prices at Food Lion, Kroger or Lowe’s Foods. With locations all over the triangle, you can easily pick up what you need on the way home from work.
St. Patrick’s Day cupcakes
The secret to the success of this recipe is the ratio of potatoes to carrots. If you change the vegetable amounts, you can end up with a very salty plate of food.
Corned beef and cabbage is an easy meal to prepare and is a St. Patrick’s Day family tradition for many people regardless of their ancestral background. Bookmark this best recipe for corned beef and cabbage and you will never fail to deliver a perfect Irish meal.
© 2012 Amy Bittinger Kunkle, All rights reserved. No part of this article may be reproduced without prior permissions from the author or Clarity Digital Group LLC d/b/a modenook.com
Please consider reading all my topics:
- Raleigh Etiquette click here to subscribe
- Raleigh Food click here to subscribe
- Raleigh Frugal Livingclick hereto subscribe
- Raleigh Relationshipsclick hereto subscribe
- Raleigh TV click here to subscribe
- National Contemporary Etiquette click here to subscribe
- National Women’s Health click here to subscribe
Do you have a passion for something that you would like to share? Why not write about it with modenook.com? Click here to link to modenook.com and start sharing your knowledge today.