Las Vegas fashion designer, Amanda Urioste of Myna Designs (a women’s fashion line) shares some insider gossip on the business as well as what we can expect in the year ahead for her Fall/Winter 2012 collection. Check it out:
- How long have you been designing for?
I’ve been designing since I was a little girl playing with Barbie’s. I wanted them to wear different things so I’d cut up my clothes and hand sew new outfits. I still have the very first one I made.
- Did you receive any training in fashion design?
Yes, I went to the Fashion Institute of Design and Merchandising in Los Angeles.
- Is there a special meaning behind the name of your line?
I chose Myna Designs because the name Myna was a nickname from my sisters. They both serve as inspiration to me.
- Is there a specific name for this collection? Is there a special meaning behind the name?
The name of this collection is “Fenty”. I draw a lot of my inspirations from my personal favorite celebrities; such as Britney Spears and Rihanna. Rihanna is fierce, sexy and confident which is who the Fenty woman is. Fenty is actually Rihanna’s last name.
- What season/year is this collection for?
- What was the inspiration for this collection?
The inspiration for the line is a mix in textures different leathers and lace. Fenty is inspired by the Britney Spears track Lace and Leather, its sexy and provocative and somewhat domineering. I also pulled inspiration from Rihanna hence the name Fenty.
- How would you describe your design aesthetic and this collection in particular?
Myna Designs mission is to create beautiful, sexy, sophisticated, fun, and flirty clothing with an edge that caters to the needs of every woman for any time, place, or occasion. So when creating a new line I keep that semblance through each design. Fenty is all about sex and sexuality. It’s dark, provocative and enticing.
- What is the color palette?
It’s all black. S&M played a part in the inspiration, so I wanted to keep it dark and let the textures do the talking.
- What fabrics did you use?
I used lace, flat black leather, a really textured/pleated/scrunched leather and jumbo spandex.
- Who is your target market?
The clients that wear Myna Designs are women who are comfortable with their body, who like to take risks with their wardrobe; but also enjoy classic silhouettes. Myna Designs is a young contemporary brand for women ages 17-35. The clothes I make aren’t for your average everyday woman. She is a woman who likes to stand out and make a statement. She walks into a room and with out a single word demands the attention of everyone.
- How long did it take to develop this line/when did you start working on it?
I had a show in October 2011 for Fashion Strikes Back, so I began the creative process in July 2011. The concept is usually the most elaborate part of the process.
- Did you do all the sketching, pattern making & sewing yourself or do you have a team that helps you?
Yes, I do everything myself. The whole creative process is personal; I don’t get feedback until I have determined the theme/story behind the designs. I do the sketches and share with a select few for feedback and then make any necessary adjustments, beginning patterns and then sewing. But changes are inevitable through out the entire process.
- Are the garments in this collection: one of a kind, limited edition or mass produced)?
They are available for custom orders.
- Are there any hand sewn/couture items in the collection?
- Where will you be placing/selling your line?
As of right now I only sell custom orders.
- What is the price range for your collection?
Wholesale- $40.00-$150.00 Retail $60.00- $220.00
- Will you be showcasing this line at a local Las Vegas fashion show? If so how can people attend?
I will be showing “Fenty” by Myna designs at this year’sFashion Art & Music Festival on January 28th. Jimi Uriquaga of Jimi CTO produces the event. The Event will be held at Laziza Restaurant and Lounge for more information you can visit the Facebook page.
- Do you have a website people can visit?
Yes www.facebook.com/MynaDesign and www.mynadesigns.carbonmade.com/
Enjoyed this article? Receive email alerts when new articles are available. Just click on the ‘Subscribe’ button above. Also be sure to visit www.recyclecreations.blogspot.com/