Rain and temperatures well above freezing has the Johnstown area looking bleak. But if you are missing snow, head to the local ski resorts this weekend. They have some fun events going on this weekend for the entire family.
Hidden Valley has a great family friendly activity this weekend.
- Now through Sunday, January 29 is the fourth annual Family Snowblast at Hidden Valley. The event is presented by the resort along with KDKA-TV and Pittsburgh’s WB. The kick off was last night with a bonfire. Tonight and Saturday night, they have a tubing party and bonfire sponsored by On-Cor Frozen Entrees and Redi-serve Meat Products. A valid snow tubing ticket is required for the tubing party. There are many activities scheduled throughout the day on Saturday and Sundayincluding the Family Life Family Fun Zone for kids. The proceeds from the Fun Zone benefit the Family Life Fund at the Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh. Also on Saturday night at 7:00 pm there will be a torchlight parade down Cobra Slope. The activities begin at 9:00 am each day and last all day.
- Saturday, January 28 and Sunday, January 29 is the return of the Snow Angels Weekend. The weekend of learning and fellowship for women skiers requires pre-registration. It should be a great weekend for the event.
Seven Springs had a couple of competitions this weekend including one at its newest terrain park.
- Saturday, January 28 at 7:00 pm is the first of three Packed, Stacked and Jacked competition. This week’s competition will take place on the newly opened urban terrain park, The Streets. The three part amateur competition has a ski and snowboard division for both men and women. The cost is $10 per person and registration takes place from 3:00 pm until 6:00 pm outside of Willi’s Ski Shop.
- Saturday, January 28 and Sunday, January 29 is the ATA Telepalooza. The Telemark Ski Festival is an annual two day event that focuses on skills has clinics for skiers of all ability levels. Registration is $89 for one day and $129 for two days. Participants under 16 are free. The cost includes NASTAR races and a daily banquet, but does not include a Seven Springs lift ticket. Registration takes place from 8:00 until 9:00 am daily and is open to the public.
Mystic Mountain at Nemacolin Woodlands has two events this weekend.
- Friday, January 27 is the weekly Neighbors and Friends Night at Mystic Mountain. Come out to enjoy skiing at a discounted price. Get a ski/ride ticket for Mystic Mountain for $15 per person with your own equipment beginning at 2:00 pm and good until 10:00 pm. If you need rental equipment, the cost is only $25 per person. You can also register for a one hour beginner’s lesson between 4:00 pm and 8:00 pm for $25. There are also specials on wings, pizza and drafts at the Hitching Post beginning at 5:00 pm. This program is good every Friday through March 9.
- On Saturday, January 21 the Winter Concert Series continues at Mystic Mountain with the classic rock sounds of the Good Guys Band. After a day on the slopes, come by the Sundial Ski Lodge for live music from 8:00 pm until 11:00 pm.
Blue Knob’s big event this weekend is Season Pass Holders’ Day from 9:00 am until noon on Sunday, January 29. For more information contact Blue Knob Resort at (814)239-5111.
So come out to the slopes and have some fun with the family this weekend.
Did you enjoy the article? Are you interested in receiving updates when new Johnstown Outdoor Recreation articles are posted? Subscribe to my page to receive updates. Please feel free to e-mail me with comments, story ideas, or upcoming outdoor recreation events at email@example.com.