Thomas Dolby will be back in North America, coming shortly after a successful performance and lecture tour to support his latest album, A Map of the Floating City, This time, however, the techno synth-pop wizard will come with a new contraption: his own science fiction-inspired time capsule.
High tech video equipment dons the inside of the brass and chrome-plated trailer, which somewhat resembles the H. G. Wells and Jules Verne time machine models. It will be parked outside each of the 24 venues on Dolby’s new tour, which will run March 16 through April 17th, 2012.
Guests will be able to sit comfortably on hand-crafted leather chairs inside and record a video message to the future. The plan is to tape hundreds of these clips throughout the voyage to create a super-montage to be posted online. Dolby says the time capsule can be a positive look into history for whomever inhabits Earth in the distant future:
“If you had 30 seconds to explain to an alien visitor what went wrong with our civilization, what would you say? Our species may not be around on this planet much longer, so you might as well leave a welcome message for the next guys.”
The clips will be available on a special Youtube channel, time-capsule.tv; those whose videos are viewed the most, according to a press release, will win prizes.
Dolby’s Time Capsule Tour will begin at the landmark South by Southwest Music Festival in Austin, Texas on March 16th and wind down in Los Angeles on April 17th. The following is the full list of dates:
- : Fri., March 16 AUSTIN, TX SXSW
- Sat., March 17 NEW ORLEANS, LA Tipitinas
- Sun., March 18 ORLANDO, FL Social
- Mon., March 19 BIRMINGHAM, AL Workplay (Seated)
- Tues., March 20 ATLANTA, GA The Loft
- Wed., March 21 GREENVILLE, SC Handlebar
- Fri., March 23 ANNAPOLIS, MD Ram¹s Head
- Sat., March 24 PHILADELPHIA, PA World Café
- Sun., March 25 ALEXANDRIA, VA Birchmere
- Wed., March 28 SELLERSVILLE, PA Sellersville Theater
- Thurs., March 29 NEW YORK, NY Canal Room
- Fri., March 30 NORTHAMPTON, MA Iron Horse
- Sat., March 31 RIDGEFIELD, CT Ridgefield Playhouse
- Sun., April 1 MONTREAL, QC L¹Astral
- Mon., April 2 TORONTO, ON Mod Club
- Wed., April 4 DETROIT, MI Royal Oak
- Thurs., April 5 CHICAGO, IL Park West
- Fri., April 6 MINNEAPOLIS, MN Cedar Cultural Center
- Tues., April 10 VANCOUVER, BC Rio Theatre
- Wed., April 11 SEATTLE, WA Showbox at the Market
- Fri., April 13 SAN FRANCISCO, CA Red Devil Lounge
- Sat., April 14 SACRAMENTO, CA Harlows
- Mon., April 16 SAN DIEGO, CA Anthology
- Tues., April 17 LOS ANGELES, CA Largo
Information on purchasing tickets for the shows can be found on Thomas Dolby’s official website.
Dolby discussed the music from A Map of the Floating City, its companion internet game and plans to come back to the states after last year’s performances during a December 2011 interview on Revenge of the 80s Radio.