If I’ve seen you recently, you’ve heard me gushing over CoverGirl LipPerfection Lipcolor. The shades are beyond genius–bright, bold, unexpected, and yet flattering–they truly make runway trends wearable. Not surprising, considering that these shades are the brainchild of makeup guru Pat McGrath, who is also the brains behind the to-die-for Dolce & Gabbana makeup line. She’s also the artistic mind behind many of the runway makeup looks that we see season after season, and in this month’s issue of Harper’s Bazaar magazine, she shares the look that she created for Dior. More than just a classic red lip look, the twist is in the shade: a modified berry, more a strawberry than a raspberry. Paired with luminous, youthful skin, glowy luminizer, and subdued blush and bronzer, the look is fresh and beautiful–and affordable, considering that these lipsticks will set you back around $7 each at drugstores! Check out the slideshow at left for a photo of my recreation of the look. Below, the products and shades that I used:
- Dolce & Gabbana The Foundation in Creamy 80, applied sparingly with fingertips
- Make Up For Ever Camouflage Cream Palette No 3, the lightest shade applied as undereye concealer
- Laura Mercier Eye Basics in Linen on eyelids
- A tiny amount of Becca Mineral Bronzing Powder in Duende applied under cheekbones and jawline for a barely contoured look
- Set makeup with BeneFit Georgia powder for a luminous look in the t-zone without appearing dewy
- Laura Mercier eyeshadow in Stellar (slightly shimmering cream) over lids and browbone
- Laura Mercier eyeshadow in Topaz (slightly shimmering plummy taupe) above crease and under lower lashline, sweeping out into very subdued cat-eye effect
- Laura Mercier eyeshadow in Topaz and Ground Espresso eyeliner applied wet at upper lashline only
- Paula Dorf Eye Enhancer pencil in Baby Eyes on lower waterline (pale skin toned eyeliner) to brighten eyes
- CoverGirl Eye Enhancers in Champagne 710 on browbone and in inner corners of eyes for an intensified shimmering highlight
- A heavy coat of Clinique Lash Power mascara in Black Onyx on upper lashes for a deliberately clumped look; to achieve this, hold mascara wand at first the traditional way and sweep through lashes; then turn it vertically and swish it from side to side through lashes like a windshield wiper.
- A touch of Laura Mercier Blush in Rose Petal (palest matte peach-pink) high on outside of cheekbones
- Dab some Laura Mercier Foundation Primer Radiance on top of makeup on cheekbones and under eyes or in any drier areas that need to look more fresh and natural.
- Coat lips with Smith’s Rosebud Salve for dewiness
- Appy CoverGirl LipPerfection lipsticks in Tempt (mid-deep berry) and Flame (Bright reddish coral), blending to achieve the perfect combination of bright, fresh strawberry color.
- Top with a tiny bit of clear gloss or more Rosebud Salve if you want to increase the dewiness of the lip look or sheer it out. [continue reading below]
I am obsessed with this lip color, and I love the playful, unexpected quality of its brightness. CoverGirl is killing it with these lipsticks! They are very similar in formula and quality to CHANEL Rouge Coco, but I like the CoverGirl ones better–they stain the lips and stay on FOREVER. With such awesome shades–very similar to the shades in the Dolce & Gabbana makeup line, clearly not a coincidence given the involvement of Ms. McGrath with both lines–I am so hooked. I’m going to have like three of these in every handbag by the time summer rolls around! What do you think of this look? Is a lip this bright something you would try? Let me know in the comments below!