Many kids in the Portland area like Valentine’s Day because it is a fun holiday that they can have a party in class and pass out cards to their friends. When looking for some fun crafts to share with kids this Valentine season, here are some great suggestions that Portland teachers, parents and childcare providers can use.
- Heart Bookmarks-Using felt and a fun piece of ribbon, Show kids how to cut out heart shapes and glue them to the ribbon. Now they have something fun.
- Heart Mobile-Create a heart mobile for the play area or bedroom by cutting out hearts in different colors and designs. Glue a piece of string in various lengths to the back of the hearts and tie them to a wire coat hanger. Hang from the ceiling in a room and it will spin.
- Conversation Heart Necklace-Using a needle and a piece of string, poke holes through the candy conversation hearts and string them into a necklace. If you do not wear this in the rain or eat it, this necklace will last a long time.
- Paper Plate Valentine Holder-This is a great way to receive and take home all those Valentines that are sure to fill your inbox. Use a full size paper plate to decorate; this will be the backside of the holder. Write your name fancy and decorate it however you like. Cut a second paper plate in half and decorate the backside as you like. This side is going to be the front that needs to be glued or stapled to the other paper plate. Now you have created a large pocket for all your valentines. Decorate with Valentine colors, hearts, glitter, and stickers.
- Pipe Cleaner Hearts-Using pink, white, red, and purple pipe cleaners create some fun and fancy hearts that you can give as gifts, use as pencil toppers, or hang on your door or in your room.