Though it is rarely mentioned in the mainstream media, it happens every day: someone uses a firearm to protect themselves or others. While local media sometimes profile these courageous acts, they rarely make the national evening newscasts. Shootings by criminals, on the other hand, almost always find their way into news, especially when they happen at a workplace or school. What we don’t often see are the stories of law abiding gun owners defending their homes, lives, and the lives of others. The emotional arguments put forth by anti-gun groups never consider the millions of lives saved each year by firearms.
It then becomes necessary for gun owners to make people aware of why the right to keep and bear arms is so fundamental to living in a safe, civil society. In the first installment of “Weekly Roundup” let’s look at some examples of self-defense from this past week:
- Why every state should be a “shall issue” concealed carry jurisdiction: 65 year old defends himself after being attacked by 3 teens.
- Young boy protects his mom with BB gun, going to show that learning to use a gun properly at an early age can be beneficial in many ways.
- When there isn’t time to call the police, the best defense is a good offense. This New Mexico homeowner wasted no time in defending his home from a burglar.
- Pregnant woman fends off burglar with handgun.
- Why armed citizens are the hallmark of safer society: man carrying concealed defends himself and others during attempted robbery.
These are just some examples, and as mentioned above it happens every day. Giving greater exposure to incidents such as these will be the goal of “Weekly Roundup” and you can find them right here every Saturday morning. Stay safe and shoot straight!