Families, couples, and singles can meet to enjoy an evening hike, snowshoe, or ski along a trail lit by the flickering flames of candles or tiki torches in Wisconsin beautiful natural areas. There are events close to Wisconsin metro areas of Milwaukee and Madison and throughout the state. Information is subject to change so check before going, especially if weather is inclement. Everybody needs outdoor time. Studies have shown that chilren are subject to early death and more disease when they remain sendentary. It’s also fun to take a night hike or evening ski adventure.
Saturday, January 7, 2012
- Blue Mound State Park, Blue Mounds, (608) 437-5711 – Candlelight Ski, Hike and Snowshoe. Ski on one and two mile lit loops. Separate lit trail for hikers, snowshoers, and leashed pets. Guided interpretive hikes start at 6 p.m. and 7 p.m. Bonfire, free hot drinks and marshmallows for roasting. Hot food and baked goods for sale. Meet at the Blue Mound State Park Ski Trail Head. Event is weather permitting. 6 – 8:30 p.m.
- Chippewa Moraine State Recreation Area, New Auburn, (715) 967-2800 or e-mail – Snowshoeing or Hiking by Moonlight. Join Naturalist Rod Gont on a one hour (two hour option available) snowshoe hike by moonlight, starting at the Chippewa Moraine Ice Age Visitor Center. A program on snowshoes and their use starts at 6:30 p.m. All ages are invited. No charge. Visitor Center will be open and we’ll have a fire going in the fireplace. Cocoa and hot water available (but bring your own tea, soup, etc.). Two outside fires for sitting by, roasting hot dogs (bring your own), making smores, etc. If there is not enough snow, we’ll hike. Call the Chippewa Moraine Ice Age Center at (715) 967-2800 for details, directions to the Visitor Center, or to reserve snowshoes. Event is weather permitting.6:30-9 p.m.
- Harrington Beach State Park, Belgium, (262) 285-3015 or e-mail – Candlelight Hike/Ski. Hike or cross-country ski by candlelight. Welcome Center. Sponsored by the Friends of Harrington Beach. Event is weather permitting. 6-9 p.m.
- Mirror Lake State Park, Lake Delton, (608) 254-2333 or e-mail – Candlelight Ski, Hike and Snowshoe. Join the Friends of Mirror Lake and park staff for a beautiful winter night. We will have two easy 1-mile trails lit by torches. One trail will be for skiers only and the other for everyone to enjoy. The Friends group will have food, hot beverages and goodies for sale. You can keep warm and enjoy the company around two roaring bonfires. A Wisconsin state park admission sticker is required. Meet at the beach/picnic area. Event is weather permitting. 6-8 p.m.
- Wildcat Mountain State Park, Ontario, 608-337-4775 or e-mail – Torchlight Ski/Hike. Cross-country skiing and night sky viewing. Skiing, hiking or snowshoeing a gentle 1.5-mile trail through the woods and fields as 100 torches light the way. Also night ski viewing through telescopes begins at 7 p.m. A bonfire and grill available for cookouts near the trail head. Along the way stop and soak up the warmth of another bonfire located at the midway point. Stop in for hot chocolate and snacks in an indoor warming area. Meet at the shop building for the start of trailhead and indoor warming area. Event is weather permitting. Dusk to 9 p.m.
More events are scheduled in January and February 2012.