A similar dance worked more than 50 years ago when Lake Tahoe was desperate for snow and the 1960 Winter Olympics were fast approaching in Squaw Valley.
Held Sunday (Jan. 14) at Sugar Pine Point State Park, the closing ceremonies for this year’s Olympic Heritage Week included the Eagle Wings Dance Group. Descendants of the Paiute, Shoshone and Washo Tribes offered traditional songs and dances sacred to the tribes represented to the Creator-God in thanks.
Organizers of the 1960 Squaw Valley Olympics brought in Great Basin dancers to encourage snowfall. And the snow arrived just in time to save what could have been a disastrous VIII Winter Games.
This year what the Lake Tahoe region is hoping to salvage is the ski season. Only a trace of snow has fallen in the past two months. If not for manmade snow, Lake Tahoe ski resorts would not be operating for skiing and snowboarding.
However, snowfall could happen later this week. A wet weather system is predicted, starting Thursday. How much snow that will drop in the Lake Tahoe region is the question everyone wants to know? Some weather forecasters are predicting a foot or two of snow could drop on Lake Tahoe.
The lack of snow this year comes after a record season a year ago when several Lake Tahoe ski resorts were still operating lifts amazingly on Fourth of July.
Last year was a strong La Niña with the stationary high pressure further south and west of the coast allowing the jet stream and associated storm track to drop out of the Gulf of Alaska and bring large amounts of precipitation to the Sierra.
The odd thing is, this season the La Niña signal is weaker with a high pressure ridge over the west coast allowing very little precipitation to get to the Sierra. La Niña can either be wet or dry and rarely brings average precipitation to the Sierra.
Read more modenook.com ski stories:
- Shaun White Superpipe at Northstar ski resort being used by other famed riders — Danny Davis, Elena Hight, Hannah Teter
- Jonny Moseley, Daron Rahlves demonstrate that Tahoe has good snow
- Kirkwood ski resort offers free lift tickets if visitors aren’t happy with current conditions
- Julia Mancuso enjoys big weekend in World Cup skiing; U.S. teammate Lindsey Vonn struggles due to illness
- Ski resorts nationwide are experiencing lack of snow this season
- Squaw, Alpine offering $39 learn-how-to ski, ride in January
- Shaun White looks forward to training at his Norhstar 22-foot high superpipe this season
- Environmentalist groups file lawsuit against Homewood expansion
- Lake Tahoe ski resorts hoping for some ‘real’ snow
- Mt. Rose ski resort in Lake Tahoe announces expansion plans
- Legendary skier Wayne Wong teaching this week at Diamond Peak in Lake Tahoe
- Check out new Shaun White superpipe at Northstar
- Guide to all Lake Tahoe ski resorts
- What is best age to teach your child to ski or snowboard?
- Sugar Bowl chairlift death will be investigated
- Northstar ski resort in Lake Tahoe unveils new chairlift on The Backside
- Homewood expansion passes; get the details
- Shaun White captures first snowboard event of season
- Test your knowledge of ski terms
- Snowboarding terms that you should know
- Snow sports draws more than 31 million partcipants
- Junk items popular at Lake Tahoe ski resorts terrain parks